NEED ADVICE - DAT18/GPA3.2/MASTER'S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PJdental

Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you for taking time to read my post.

I need help figuring out which schools to apply for this cycle.
I read many times to apply broadly and to about 10-15 schools but is that applicable with my stats?
How many schools should I apply to?

My undergraduate GPA is under 3.00 so I did Mater's and have 3.2 as my GPA (I know not high at all)
I took DAT two times. Three years ago and got 17 and re-took last month and got AA 18.

I would appreciate ANY advice (positive and critical) to dental school application! Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say if your going to apply with those stats it will be difficult to get in, but some people do get in with those stats each year. It will depend on your extracurriculars, PS and LORs. But honestly I do not know how great your chances are. If you are gunna apply, make sure to apply to a lot of schools, which will be expensive, and make sure the schools you are applying to don't have a GPA cutoff.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your input!
I have experience working at dental offices and variety of volunteer works. When you say a lot of schools, how many schools do you mean?

You probably don't want to hear this but

You might want to reconsider applying.

Master's are meant to show that for whatever reason your UGPA was poor and now you got your act together. That means nothing under a 3.6.

Also your DAT is far too low, especially with those GPA's.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your Master's GPA?

You have a chance. People with inferior GPAs and DATs get in every year, however, it's not a high chance. If you want to spend the money to apply make sure you have a stellar personal statement and really sell your extracurriculars. Do some more research about potential schools you'd like to apply to--consider their average DATs and GPAs but always remember those are averages.