Need advice. Do I have a shot??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msnbarca10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'd like to get some input/advise from the experts out there or anyone who's been in similar situation and had success. I'm an African American male, from a very disadvantaged background. I have my heart set on medical school. Unfortunately it has been very tough with little to no guidance. I graduated from a state school in NY with a BS in Biology.
My stats:
cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.5
4 semesters of research, no publications.
Science tutor at my university learning center.
TA in organic chemistry for 3 semesters.
Worked as a medical scribe in the ER for 2 years.
MCAT: this is where my problem begins. After graduation I sat for the MCAT, out of pressure with relatively little prep and scored a 488. I was pretty discouraged and gave up for a bit. I bounced back a few months later and decided to try again but this time with more prep. Unfortunately things at home were tough and I had to work a lot which left me with little study time. I made the mistake of taking the exam for the second time and only scored 492.
Pretty bummed again. I did more studying and decided to go for it again. This time I scored a 501. unforunately I was completely unaware that taking the exam multiple times has dire consequences. I realized I shot myself in the foot. I knew my old scored would not get me in so I decided that my best bet would be to just try again. This time I reevaluated my strategy and took a step back and started prepping from the very beginning (read the review books all over again and kept taking practice exams under strict conditions. After proper studying I finally felt confident enough to sit for the exam a month ago and just for my score back. 510. I'm happy with this score as i came a long way. Unfortunately I am now afraid that I have completely hurt my chances. My question is given my stats and multiple MCAT scores do I have a chance at MD schools. How unfavorably will 4 attempts be viewed even if I improved each time. My ideal schools are the SUNY schools: upstate, downstate, buffalo, stony brook. As well as other NY schools: Rochester, Hofstra, NYMC. However at this point I'm willing to go anywhere. I reached out the pre medical advisor whom I have never talked to before and he recommended Caribbean schools, but I'm really against this. I'm really frustrated in myself and really need advice/input. If I wait until next June and apply will I stand a chance? Or did I completely ruin myself.

Sorry for the long lost!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It is true that multiple (>2) MCAT attempts are frowned upon by medical schools. However, there are exceptions and you are one of them. You needed those 3rd and 4th attempts since you had no chance for admission with your 488 and 492. Schools will more likely focus on your 501 and 510. Even if they average those 2 scores you could still be seen as a candidate with a 506. It is late in the application season to apply this year so I suggest applying next June and consider all these schools ( I am assuming you are a NY resident).
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser, etc.).

Reactions: 2 users
It is true that multiple (>2) MCAT attempts are frowned upon by medical schools. However, there are exceptions and you are one of them. You needed those 3rd and 4th attempts since you had no chance for admission with your 488 and 492. Schools will more likely focus on your 501 and 510. Even if they average those 2 scores you could still be seen as a candidate with a 506. It is late in the application season to apply this year so I suggest applying next June and consider all these schools ( I am assuming you are a NY resident).
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser, etc.).
Thank you so much!!! You really gave me hope. What makes me an exception to the >2 rule? Those schools all seem like a dream come true to me and I would be happy at anyone of them! Yes I am a NY resident. And I'm not chancing it this cycle. I will have everything ready by June. This gives me plenty of time to work on my personal statement. Would you recommend I address my previous low scores on my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Often when applicants retake it is a bad idea for several reasons. They may have a high score (514+) and retake and score lower and that hurts their application. Other applicants score the same and it only confirms a mediocre score. Your 4th attempt is much, much higher than your first 2 attempts so it helps you dramatically. There is also a major shortage of African American males in medical schools so the schools will look at your 510 and 501 and ignore your 488 and 492.

Reactions: 1 user
Often when applicants retake it is a bad idea for several reasons. They may have a high score (514+) and retake and score lower and that hurts their application. Other applicants score the same and it only confirms a mediocre score. Your 4th attempt is much, much higher than your first 2 attempts so it helps you dramatically. There is also a major shortage of African American males in medical schools so the schools will look at your 510 and 501 and ignore your 488 and 492.
That is so awesome. I'm so glad I still have a shot. I will spend these next 9 months perfecting my application and hope for the best. Thank you so much. You've been a tremendous help!!!

You might even have a chance at the UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program if you have a background of volunteering underserved communities. It is worth looking into in my opinion.