Need Advice/Encouragement, Feeling down..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLPreMedGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 23 years old, I have 120 credits and I am 16 classes from finishing my BSIT degree ( B.S. in Information Technology). My current cGPA is a 2.91, my sGPA is a 2.90. I sat down and added up all of my grades and also added in the remaining 16 classes. If i get A's in the remaining classes my cGPA will be a 3.2. I still have to take all of my Pre-Reqs for Med School. My worry is that my cGPA and my sGPA will not be high enough to be even looked at for an M.D. school. I know another one of my options in a D.O. school but I really want to go the M.D. route. I've hit a low point in my life. I stay in school knowing that beyond this rough patch lies a better road. If anyone can give me any advice on what to do with my grades I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

i calculate this:

(3.2 gpa * (120 + (16 classes * 3 hours)) + (pre-req classes = 8 * 4 credit hours each) * 4 (for an A in each) ) / (total hours taken = 120 + 48 + 32) = 3.328 gpa.

that is the low end, you can initiate a gpa repair at that point. I would try to hold off on the degree if possible and just repair as part of the degree.

refer to this chart to see what you would need via mcat score and gpa to see your chances, it is not as dire as you think:

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

assuming all my assumptions on classes credits, etc are correct, another 50 credit hours of A's puts you at 3.46

i calculate this:

(3.2 gpa * (120 + (16 classes * 3 hours)) + (pre-req classes = 8 * 4 credit hours each) * 4 (for an A in each) ) / (total hours taken = 120 + 48 + 32) = 3.328 gpa.

that is the low end, you can initiate a gpa repair at that point. I would try to hold off on the degree if possible and just repair as part of the degree.

refer to this chart to see what you would need via mcat score and gpa to see your chances, it is not as dire as you think:

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

assuming all my assumptions on classes credits, etc are correct, another 50 credit hours of A's puts you at 3.46

So your saying to put off my graduating date from Fall of 2012 until I fix my GPA with more science classes and raise my GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's probably the best plan. It's easier to repair your gpa before it's final. You can take some "fluff" classes too on top of those pre-reqs to bump up the gpa. Underwater basketweaving, anyone? :-D

yes, that is what i would do, mainly because it will show on your AMCAS transcript as the grades for your senior (and possibly junior) years, leaving the post-bacc column empty. also some schools charge less if you are still an undergrad/dont have a degree for tuition.

And I hear that financial aid is easier when you're still working on that first baccalaureate.

And it wont matter that i would graduate with like almost 200 credits?!!? thats insane!!

I was hoping for a 2014 acceptance if not 2015 acceptance..

would you guys recommend a special masters program? I know some of them once accepted and pass the one year get admitted into their medical program.

No, the number of credits doesn't matter as to getting your degree. Thank goodness for people like me who have to reboot their undergraduate degree..... My understanding on the financial aid thing is that each college is required to set a max number of credits for eligibility, but it does vary from school to school and state regulations differ as well. I just looked up my school, and it's 186 credits before they stop giving you federal aid, and you can even appeal that with good reason.

On the SMPs, I'm of no help. I know they're high risk and expensive, though. Your safest route really is fixing the GPA issues now and milking that degree for as many credits as it takes to do so. Classes will inevitably be much more inexpensive on the undergrad level than on the master's level.

Last edited:
the 200 credit hours will be required regardless of whether you choose to go smp or not. the 16 classes for degree plus pre-reqs will put you at 200.
16*3 = 48 hours
8*4 = 32 hours ( 8 pre-req classes plus labs at 4 credit hours a piece)

if you only need 50 credit hours to get you up to a 3.46, then you can do that in a little over a year and a half (15 hours a semester + 5 hr summer school). that is much less risk than an smp for only spending half a year more, plus it will cost much less. that is how i see it, but others may have better points/viewpoints.

Besides, if you're hanging out here til the 2014 application cycle, you'll be in with all the cool kids. :) That's going in the "pro" column of reasons to delay your graduation!

Besides, if you're hanging out here til the 2014 application cycle, you'll be in with all the cool kids. :) That's going in the "pro" column of reasons to delay your graduation!

+1:thumbup:
I am highly looking forward to the 2014 app cycle!

Me too! As long as I make those As between now and then, that's the year I'm aiming for.

It all really depends on your MCAT too... 3.4 gpa with a 22 MCAT isn't going to get you squat. Hold off on the degree, take your prereqs, take the MCAT, THEN think about SMP, MD vs DO, etc.

Well, if you don't want a D.O., you don't have to get it. Focus on going to MD by getting solid grades from now on, an SMP, and a high MCAT score.