Need advice: Endo or GP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playa2652

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I know its a little earlier for thinking about specializing, but I was wondering what is the best route to take after dental school, try and getting into an endo program or try for a GPR? I like the idea of endo, but a dentist friend told me that endos are going to have it harder when I'm done with school because of rotary instruments being used by GPs now instead of hand-technique with files. Also, the cost for obturating a canal, post then crown cost almost the same as an implant. In addition, I don't know if I can handle that much more school after dental school. I was wondering if people in the field already can give me some advice on the matter. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody. I know its a little earlier for thinking about specializing, but I was wondering what is the best route to take after dental school, try and getting into an endo program or try for a GPR? I like the idea of endo, but a dentist friend told me that endos are going to have it harder when I'm done with school because of rotary instruments being used by GPs now instead of hand-technique with files. Also, the cost for obturating a canal, post then crown cost almost the same as an implant. In addition, I don't know if I can handle that much more school after dental school. I was wondering if people in the field already can give me some advice on the matter. Thanks.

Let me be the first to say, slow it down. You haven't even taken pre-clinical endo courses yet. I didn't think I would enjoy endo (was planning on pedo) and loved endo when I took the pre-clinical course. Now, I'm an endo resident and love it. In terms of the future- people will always want to save their natural teeth. An implant is a nice option to have, but it is definitely not the same. I think endo will always be needed and I'm not worried about the future of the specialty.

Thanks Dukie! Do you mind me asking if you started endo residency right upon graduation or did you practice a couple of years first before going back. I somewhat feel overwhelmed with school right now and I'm unsure if I can handle the rigors of specialty for another 2-3 yrs afterwards. Also, what kind of stats made you a competitive applicant

Thanks Dukie! Do you mind me asking if you started endo residency right upon graduation or did you practice a couple of years first before going back. I somewhat feel overwhelmed with school right now and I'm unsure if I can handle the rigors of specialty for another 2-3 yrs afterwards. Also, what kind of stats made you a competitive applicant

I'd rather not share my stats, but in general, the rule of thumb is to aim for a 90 or better on Part I and grades in the top part of your class. Endo is very competitive. I went to endo right out of school, but many programs would not consider me because they want a GPR or experience. If you want the best chance to get in, you should probably consider a GPR. It is a lot of years, but I think it is worth it.