Need Advice-Extenuating Circumstance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted303591

I have been forced to take medical withdrawal 3 times from university. I am a Junior with a 3.2 GPA, and I am majoring in Electrical Engineering.

In January, I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune neuromuscular disease that affects my autonomic nervous system and I was forced to take this year off. I spent 7 weeks in the hospital this year, including 4 days in the ICU.

I have suffered with this mysterious disease, known as X, for several years. The disease is so rare that there are only case reports of the disease. Also, there is only one lab in the United States that tests for my disease.

I am fortunate because I was googling one morning in the ER and I came across this disease. I was subsequently tested for it.

I want to serve a cause higher than myself and I have been interested in medicine for years. I want to become a doctor, but I do not know if this is possible given my extreme circumstance.

I have been pursuing my undergraduate degree since Fall 2007. Also, I was unable to be in school full-time at times, due to my health.

My GPA is only going to get higher now that I am becoming healthier.

What should I do to improve my chances of getting in to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also afraid of explaining my circumstance on my medical school application.

My disease is rare and no prognosis has been established for it.

Also, I will need accommodations on the MCAT.

Will this hurt my chances? This tears me up inside.

I have been forced to take medical withdrawal 3 times from university. I am a Junior with a 3.2 GPA, and I am majoring in Electrical Engineering.

In January, I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune neuromuscular disease that affects my autonomic nervous system and I was forced to take this year off. I spent 7 weeks in the hospital this year, including 4 days in the ICU.

I have suffered with this mysterious disease, known as Autoimmune Autonomic Ganglionopathy (AAG), for several years. The disease is so rare that there are only case reports of the disease. Also, there is only one lab in the United States that tests for my disease.

I am fortunate because I was googling one morning in the ER and I came across this disease. I was subsequently tested for it.

I want to serve a cause higher than myself and I have been interested in medicine for years. I want to become a doctor, but I do not know if this is possible given my extreme circumstance.

I have been pursuing my undergraduate degree since Fall 2007. Also, I was unable to be in school full-time at times, due to my health.

My GPA is only going to get higher now that I am becoming healthier.

What should I do to improve my chances of getting in to medical school?
1) Get great grades for the next two years, or until you graduate if it takes longer than that, taking a typical class load, without further interruption in your academic progress. Adcomms will want to be convinced you can finish med school in the usual amount of time.
2) Engage in the usual and customary ECs.
3) Be sure your doc is on board about your capability for managing the stress of a medical education. be sure you fulfill the published Performance Standards of any med school you apply to as they vary widely in the amount of accomodation they provide.
4) Wow your LOR writers so that your letters of support are terrific.

1) Get great grades for the next two years, or until you graduate if it takes longer than that, taking a typical class load, without further interruption in your academic progress. Adcomms will want to be convinced you can finish med school in the usual amount of time.
2) Engage in the usual and customary ECs.
3) Be sure your doc is on board about your capability for managing the stress of a medical education. be sure you fulfill the published Performance Standards of any med school you apply to as they vary widely in the amount of accomodation they provide.
4) Wow your LOR writers so that your letters of support are terrific.

I will make sure to do all of these.

Thank you for the advice regarding medical school.

I get better every day and I know I have what it takes. My situation is exceptional and most students would not have made it as far as me.