need advice for a 1st year medical student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreypete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guyz,
So I'm currently a first year medical student at a european medical university (which is 6 years in length). I don't really know when I should start preparing fro the USMLEs. The first year is coming to an end in about 3 months and then I have about 3 months of vaccation (of course it all depends on when I finish my exams) so I might also end up having only 2 months of vaccation. Would you recommend me to prepare for the USMLEs starting this summer? or should I read up on some of the 2nd year subjects? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a basic structure of our curriculum:
First year:
Anatomy 1,2
Anatomic Dissections 1,2
Biophysics
Biology and Genetics 1
Cell Biology
Introduction to Medical Studies
General Histology
First Aid, Meeting with the Clinicians
Particular histology and embryology
Basic Medical Terminology 1,2
Medical Informatics 1,2

2nd year
Biology and Genetics 2
Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry 1,2
Microbiology 1
Patient Care
Summer Clerkship: Extended patient care

3rd yr.
Pharmacology 1
Integrated Block: Microbiology/Pathology
Propaedeutics in Internal Medicine
Medical Ethics and Philosophy 2
Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy 1,2
Microbiology 2
Pathobiochemistry
Pathophysiology 1,2
Pathology 1,2
Basic Immunology 2

Years 4-6 are all arranged in blocks of 3-4 weeks per subject (similar to the American medical system). Thank you.

A couple of things...

From what I understand, in europe clinical training is emphasized at an earlier stage than most american medical schools and several of the basic sciences are taught in a less structured format. I know that students from the UK have had a difficult time preparing for Step 1 because the test is completely focused on basic sciences. Much of the basic sciences include material not necessarily applicable to a clinical environment.

I suggest you contact upperclassmen from your school (or better yet, alumni that successfully obtained a US residency) so they can advise you on your particular situation.

To help, here is the list of tested topics on the USMLE Step 1.

Based on the schedule you provided, my best guess is the earliest you should take the USMLE Step 1 is following your 3rd year. At the very least, you should wait until you have a strong grasp of general pathology, pharmacology and physiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there Terpkinss99, thank you for the reply. Actually to be fair, most of the European schools focus more on the basic sciences and follow a traditional approach as opposed to the US/UK/Australian system which have more of a PBL approach. This is a disadvantage for us as we have to separately learn the clinical applicability of the basic sciences (anatomy, histo. etc.)

I spoke to a few upperclassmen and they also recommended me to take the USMLE Step 1 after the 3rd year and the Step 2 after the 5th year. Unfortunately I don't really know many upperclassmen preparing for USMLEs (as most of them go to UK or Australia). But thank you for your advice again.

You guys have 6 years of coursework? Screw that, I would become a janitor.

And until you have had path, studying anything like that is a waste of time. If you really want to do something during this summer, review your first year stuff.

Well considering that it's right after high school, it's not that bad (but yes it can be quite a frustrating and boring experience at times...)