Need advice for friend…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HDMTX

GU Med Onc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Practicing MD here and used to use SDN as a resource way back when I was applying in '99. Been away for a while and a bit lost when a friend of mine came to me asking for advice. Here's the short end of it:

Early 30s
ORM
CA Resident
Non-trad, librarian
UG GPA 3.1 (sGPA likely near this)
Grad GPA 3.6
SMP GPA 3.97
MCAT: 12B 13V 10P

I honestly wasn't sure if he would get auto cut from several schools given the UG GPA regardless of how well he's done in SMP and on his MCAT. He's trying to compile a list now to submit 6/1.

Members don't see this ad.

High tiers may cut, but I would assume that, given his life experience and obvious ability to perform the class work (via SMP GPA), he would get an acceptance SOMEWHERE.
Now, if he has location limitations (family), it would be difficult for him to count on an acceptance to any one target school.

High tiers may cut, but I would assume that, given his life experience and obvious ability to perform the class work (via SMP GPA), he would get an acceptance SOMEWHERE.
Now, if he has location limitations (family), it would be difficult for him to count on an acceptance to any one target school.
No geographic limitations...

I gave him this prelim list, please edit as again I'm out if touch... I had a few supposed autoinvite schools on there like UM, Putt, Vandy, but wasn't sure if his GPA would disqualify him.

All UCs, USC, LLU
Colorado
Quinnipiac
GW
Georgetown
Miller
Emory
Iowa
Chicago Med
Illinois
Stritch
Rush
Tulane
Boston
U Michigan
Michigan State
Beaumont
St Louis
Wake Forest
Creighton
Dartmouth
Nevada
Cooper
Albany
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Stony
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Upstate
Hofstra
NYMed
Rochester
Einstein
Mt Sinai
Case
OSU
Toledo
Cinci
OHSU
Drexel
PSU
Pitt
Jefferson
Temple
Vandy
Baylor
EVMS
VCU
Vermont
Med Coll Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
There are med schools that believe in the power of redemption. The ones I know about are on this list, and more...since I think the low-tiers will give the most amount of love.

My suggested list:

USC, LLU
Quinnipiac
GW
Georgetown
Miller
Rush
Tulane
Boston
Beaumont
St Louis
Wake Forest
Creighton
Albany
Hofstra
NYMed
Case
Drexel
PSU
Jefferson
Temple
EVMS
VCU
Med Coll Wisconsin
Rosy Franklin
Any other new MD school
Any DO program.

OK, update and a definite correction:

His UG GPA was 3.1 (English) with NO science courses
Masters non-Sci: 3.7
Pistbacc was 3.97 (100% med prereqs)

Does that mean that since he never took a science course before SMP that he can use the SMP GPA as a sGPA?
This is confusing me.

Last edited:

Masters was in Library Science: 3.7
SMP at CSUF was 3.97 (100% med prereqs)

Does that mean that since he never took a science course before SMP that he can use the SMP GPA as a sGPA?
This is confusing me.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 21st century medical school admissions!
SMPs are usually graduate/medical school coursework, not the typical Bio 101/Phys 101 courses. So I'd make sure with him that he didn't in fact do a post-bacc. Otherwise, I think he may have a N/A science GPA (because masters programs aren't factored into GPA/sGPA calculations).

I would take out Colorado and Illinois simply based on OOS tuition and relatively low chance of acceptance. GW and Georgetown get so many apps, unless they agree with their mission/vision/really want the school I wouldn't include them. Michigan state I believe is low OOS acceptance, same with St. Louis, Nevada, the SUNYS, OSU. I believe Dartmouth and Vandy are sticklers for grades and wouldn't waste the money. Definitely some more you can take out.

Masters was in Library Science: 3.7
SMP at CSUF was 3.97 (100% med prereqs)

This is confusing me.

Also I didn't know there were SMPs for pre-reqs, in fact I don't believe there are... But yes it would have to count.

Thanks for all the input! It's much appreciated! I was incorrect. It was a post-bacc:

http://extension.fullerton.edu/healthprofessions/ps_classes.aspx

It's apparently "linked" to GWU and Western. Being a post-bacc and his only science his sGPA becomes 3.97? Despite a great sGPA, the original ug GPA of 3.1 still takes him out of contention for a number of schools I'd presume?