PM&R Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Status
Hello all,

I've been on this site since medical school and have definitely gotten some good information from the various forums.

I am in a unique situation and would like some advice as far as searching for jobs.

I am PM&R trained and am doing a pain mgmt fellowship that is quite unique.

It is at Virginia Commonwealth University, it is ACGME accredited. Thus far in this fellowship, I am training in various types of flouroscopically guided injections.

Fortunately, this fellowship program has also been giving me the chance to gain exposure in ultrasound guided injections, platelet rich plasma injections, and prolotherapy. Furthermore, I am an Osteopathic Physician with skills in manual manipulation. I also enjoy doing EMGs.

My dilemma is finding a practice that will allow me to offer my patients one of these many treatment options. I want to be able to flouroscopic injections, but really my passion is MSK treatments especially with prolotherapy, PRP, U/S, OMM, etc.

I'm looking to be in the Northeast anywhere from NJ to D.C.

Any and all advice as far as finding jobs would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RP

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Hello all,

I've been on this site since medical school and have definitely gotten some good information from the various forums.

I am in a unique situation and would like some advice as far as searching for jobs.

I am PM&R trained and am doing a pain mgmt fellowship that is quite unique.

It is at Virginia Commonwealth University, it is ACGME accredited. Thus far in this fellowship, I am training in various types of flouroscopically guided injections.

Fortunately, this fellowship program has also been giving me the chance to gain exposure in ultrasound guided injections, platelet rich plasma injections, and prolotherapy. Furthermore, I am an Osteopathic Physician with skills in manual manipulation. I also enjoy doing EMGs.

My dilemma is finding a practice that will allow me to offer my patients one of these many treatment options. I want to be able to flouroscopic injections, but really my passion is MSK treatments especially with prolotherapy, PRP, U/S, OMM, etc.

I'm looking to be in the Northeast anywhere from NJ to D.C.

Any and all advice as far as finding jobs would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RP
Dude, you'll be a one-stop shop for pain. Why do you anticipate a problem? Many practices, especially multi-specialty ones, are looking for versatile pain docs.

painchas

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Capital pain and spine I believe is the name . They are growing and I think PMR is where they are.
Regards.

OP
O

OMMFellow06

PM&R Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Status
I've been in contact with Capitol Spine and am awaiting a preliminary phone interview.

I'm asking because I was wondering if there's a certain approach I should be using to FIND some practices that may be looking. I've heard about a few places from people, but don't have too much info about multi-specialty groups.

Given the variety of what I can offer, I thought I shouldn't have a much of a problem, but just spoke to an anesthesia pain doc that got me a little discouraged b/c of what he said would be less reimbursement for U/S guided vs. flour guided stuff.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
The reimbursement for U/S guided pain procedures is better than fluoro guided, in general.

You have a very good skill set. You will be able to help a lot of people and be very marketable. drusso and myself have similar backgrounds as yourself, it has certainly helped me.

bedrock

10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Given the variety of what I can offer, I thought I shouldn't have a much of a problem, but just spoke to an anesthesia pain doc that got me a little discouraged b/c of what he said would be less reimbursement for U/S guided vs. flour guided stuff.
Don't let that pain guy discourage you because he's a one trick pony. Pain medicine needs docs like you who have a full tool chest to treat patients with. Docs who practice good well-rounded pain medicine don't make quite as much as those that just live in the fluoro suite all day, but you can still do well with what you offer. U/S guided procedure still reimburse well if you own your own machine as reimbursement for the US guidance is 3 X that for fluoro which makes a big difference. As long as you can do the US procedures as efficiently as flouro procedures you should still do well offering both to your patients.

OP
O

OMMFellow06

PM&R Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Status
The reimbursement to me is definitely not a big deal, it was more of a concern that this anesthesia pain doc brought up as a reason that someone may not want someone such as myself.

I am very happy that I will be able to offer such a variety of treatment options for my patients. Patients have so many reasons to have pain and I think that we should have a number of tools in our chest to treat them.

Now, I just need to find a practice to add me on. I'll keep the search on.

Thanks for the encouragement.