Need advice for Kaplan MCAT prep course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovedocta07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone i was wondering if i could get some advice on when to take the kaplan prep course. I was planning on taking the april 4th MCAT for 2010.

Should i take the prep course this summer, and study on my own until the test date, or should i study on my own in the summer and take the prep course 3 months before the the test date. Im just worried if i take the prep course from june 2009 to august 2009, ill forget it by april 2010.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably take the prep course a little closer to youre test date..but if you have time, theres nothing wrong with going over some of the stuff on youre own, itll make studying when you get closer a lot more smoother..

I would suggest you take the prep-course about 3-4 months prior to your actual test date. That way, the strategies and materials will all still be fresh in your mind. However, in the meantime, if you have spare time, I would suggest starting to study on your own. Try and get the material (course books... etc. in advance; usually Kaplan sends them to you a month or so prior to your course but maybe speak to them and try and gete them earlier) and start going through it on your own. Also, start reading articles in journals such as The Economist... or any other journals that feature articles about current issues in the today's world, whether it be economical, social, scientific.... reading those types of articles will prepare you for verbal reasonning sections as well as the writing sample.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i suggest that you finish the coursre one month before your test date so you can take a bunch of practice tests after the class is over. before you take the class, it would be good to review the content

If you keep up with the homework, which is ALOT, I'd take it as close as possible. If you go to class, do the online crap, the reading, and the practice tests, you will have covered everything you needed to know. Everything is laid out in a schedule, like a syllabus. Stick to it and you're golden. I only took mine 2 months after ending my course and I got a little rusty.

Chances are you won't be able to get the test right after you finish, so use that time to brush up on weaker subjects and continue with practice tests.

Just my two cents:rolleyes:

Hey everyone i was wondering if i could get some advice on when to take the kaplan prep course. I was planning on taking the april 4th MCAT for 2010.

Should i take the prep course this summer, and study on my own until the test date, or should i study on my own in the summer and take the prep course 3 months before the the test date. Im just worried if i take the prep course from june 2009 to august 2009, ill forget it by april 2010.

Thank You

Take a course right before the test, because you can review on your own. Courses are good for support and tricks. More importantly, DON'T take Kaplan.

Second, Third, and Fourth the above advice. You want to take that prep course pretty close to your actual date.

I took Kaplan - for me it helped a lot. Obviously, some other people have some (probably justifiable) Kaplan rage. I feel like the classes vary widely in quality. Investigate the classes in your area, talk to 'test prep alumni' in your area to see what they'd recommend.