Need advice for non-traditional student..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Only Hope..

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm writing this as I am really in a dire and desperate need of an advice from hopefully who have more knowledge and insight into pre-pharm.

My situation is unique.. or maybe different.. or may even sound like a cliche just like all non-traditional professionals stories..

I started 4-year college in the year of 2006 or 07; I can't seem to remember. Although I got accepted to a very prestigious college (I believe it still remain to be in top 10 in the nation), I never felt like I belonged there. People around me seemed way smarter than me and way more motivated than I was. Although I always tried to hide it, I always knew or believed that I wasn't smart enough to be going to that school. I was afraid. I was anxious. I was worried. This was just a routine of my daily life at the campus. Eventually, I started skipping classes as the semester went by during my freshman year. My grades in every class I was taking was on the tipping point of failing. This all or nothing thinking habit kicked in and I just had given up trying at all. I started drinking. I started becoming addicted to social life, maybe for the cause of trying to forget my worries. Really. I was always looking for relationships and I started to just meet girls there for casual sex. Instead of trying to figure out how I can overcome the academic hardship, I was more interested in flirting with girls. Well. To make a long story short, I ****ed up so hard. I never got an academic probation or anything, but my grades were painfully low. Mostly C and D or F in science courses like gen chem, o-chem, calculus. I think my GPA was around 2.3 to 2.5 with around 60 units completed. So I've decided to take time off for the good during my 3rd year as I just felt so helpless and hopeless. Withdrawing seemed like the only option for me as the course load seemed unbearable semester by semester.

After I had withdrawn, stress was at least relieved. As soon as I withdrew from school, I came back down home and got a part time job at an SAT prep and worked there for three years. At the same time I volunteered at a local hospital for two years hoping I might find something that might interest me. During this time, it seemed like I was recouping all my self-confidence, persistence, etc. that had just vanished along the way until I started gambling. I believe I had lost nearly $30,000~$40,000. My hard-earned income was all gone. Not only that, I am in debt of about $15,000. Now I am working full-time at a trading company, trying to make my ends meet. I am 28 now, and the more I work here, the more I realize importance of higher education.. Right now I am thinking I will get a pharm tech license, but honestly I don't know how.. As I am working full-time and most of the days I work 10-12 hours a day, so it's hard to find a school that would offer a class very late at night. Do I really need to take classes to become a pharm-tech? Also I am thinking of maybe starting to take a class or two at a community college and maybe transferring to a local 4-year university.. Does this sound like a legit plan? To be honest, if there is a chance no matter how slim that chance may seem, I am all ready to give it a try. But.. I wanna try it in a smart and effective way. So can somebody give me some suggestions as to how I should take this road wisely...?

I really appreciate your help in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

After reading your situation, I'm a little confused as to why you're considering pharmacy in the first place. Other than the fact that "you've appreciated the importance of higher education" and that you've volunteered at a local hospital, this profession seems to be more of a future career option than a genuine interest to you. Speaking of which, it seems to me that while you've experienced a variety of different job markets, you still haven't found your passion-- which isn't that uncommon for most people our age. As a pharmacy tech with 5+ years of experience, i would think that i have the credibility to say that pharmacy (and/or the job of a technician) requires some genuine interest in the field. Otherwise, you won't last long. Also, from what i understand (since this has all changed since i started), to become a pharmacy tech today does require you to take classes and become certified before you can walk behind a pharmacy counter. And those classes aren't exactly cheap. Thus, it may be in your best interest to really "find your calling" before you jump into this field and invest more money.

yea i dont see why you wanna be a pharacist, no passion or caring, also undergrad is the same at all schools so just cuz you went to a top ranking school doesnt mean jack beans, you struggeled then youll struggele now

I will see about that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
After reading your situation, I'm a little confused as to why you're considering pharmacy in the first place. Other than the fact that "you've appreciated the importance of higher education" and that you've volunteered at a local hospital, this profession seems to be more of a future career option than a genuine interest to you. Speaking of which, it seems to me that while you've experienced a variety of different job markets, you still haven't found your passion-- which isn't that uncommon for most people our age. As a pharmacy tech with 5+ years of experience, i would think that i have the credibility to say that pharmacy (and/or the job of a technician) requires some genuine interest in the field. Otherwise, you won't last long. Also, from what i understand (since this has all changed since i started), to become a pharmacy tech today does require you to take classes and become certified before you can walk behind a pharmacy counter. And those classes aren't exactly cheap. Thus, it may be in your best interest to really "find your calling" before you jump into this field and invest more money.

Yes, it is true that I haven't really found my passion in any of the jobs I've had in the varying job markets. I'm not sure why, but I seem very unmotivated most of the time except when I go talk to cute girls lol. Maybe I should become a pick-up artist and post videos on Youtube and start making money off of that? Nah.. lol. Well. The reason why I'm interested in being pharm tech is because that way I would be able to get more hands on experience and maybe gain more insight into the actual job. Thanks. :)

No problem man. Like i said tho, this isn't exactly the best career to jump into without having a genuine interest in it. Its kind of like going to culinary school without ever really cooking anything, or having a passion for food-- does that make sense? Anyways, my advice to you still stands, and i wish u the best in finding your niche.

No problem man. Like i said tho, this isn't exactly the best career to jump into without having a genuine interest in it. Its kind of like going to culinary school without ever really cooking anything, or having a passion for food-- does that make sense? Anyways, my advice to you still stands, and i wish u the best in finding your niche.

Mhmm. It does make sense. I really appreciate your help, man. -3