1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice from an actual NYU dental student

Discussion in 'Dental' started by gradM.S., Feb 21, 2002.

1. gradM.S.

gradM.S. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been accepted to NYU dental and waitlisted at two other schools. I am thinking that if I don't come off of the waitlist then I will try to defer my acceptance to NYU and reapply this summer again ( I sort of applied late this year). My reason for doing this is that I am unsure about how well NYU prepares its students for passing its boards (with high scores) and how well their students do in placing into top specialties such as (oral and maxillofacial as well as perio). I also would like to one day return back to California and so how well do NYU students do in passing other difficult state boards. Any information that you can share would be much appreciated. I just think that going to a school that will not get me to where I want to be is just not worth my while or my finances. Is that stupid thinking? :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sorry, I don't go to NYU, but I don't think this is a stupid question. Try talking to recent NYU grads, however, since no current student wants to think that they will become a statistic and fail a board exam, regardless of what the school's historical reputation may be. A recent grad would probably be more willing to share what percent of their class ended up doing what after graduation.

4. pn229

pn229 Member
    7+ Year Member

As a fourth year NYU dental student, I would highly recommend NYU. Regardless of what you may have heard...NYU like any other school has it's share of problems. But boards score for NYU is always good. Ist board is always around 98-99% pass rate. This is great cause we have a class size of 250. Second board, I am not sure what the stats are. Regargless of the stats, when studying for boards, you rely on Decks anyways, and other references since you can't remember everything that is said in lecure. IN reality, boards score is dependent on how hard and how much you study. The harder you study for it, the better you do. It's all up to you. I f you fail the board, it's not the school's fault, it's your own. As for specialty...you are sure you are specializing even though you haven't experience dental school yet? If you are, NYU is still great because, after all..if you do well on boards and be top of your class...which is pretty tough here with all the competition, then regardless of the institution, you'll get to specialize. Hope that helps.

5. gradM.S.

gradM.S. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you very much for the great advice. And I completely agree with you that how much you put in is how much you get out - but I guess for me the idea of a class size of 250 sounds really intimidating and not very informal. But once again thanks for the input!

6. Freddy King

Freddy King Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

As for going back to CA - you can skip that state's exam by working in any state for five years without being disciplined.

I believe this is called licensure by credentials. CA, NV, and others are among a growing number of states doing it.