need advice from anyone who knows WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docwannabe2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...
So, I'm in need of some advice. I just got an invite for an interview at WashU. I know it's a fabulous school, but at this point I am very low on funds (not to mention days off from work). Also, my stats are not "spectacular", especially by WashU standards. I'm pretty sure that at this point, I'm going to be interviewing for a waitlist spot (if I'm lucky) and more than likely I'll just end up getting rejected anyway. I've pretty much been decided on going to Cornell for a while, and I don't know if any other place would sway me at this point. What do you think? Is WashU worth the extra money for a plane ticket? Do you think it would be useful to visit even if I am interviewing for a spot on a waitlist? For those of you that have interviewed already, I'd really like to hear what you think...

thanks, and good luck to all!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

On what planet is a 3.9+ GPA in neuro not spectacular?!! :thumbup: Like you say on your profile, don't ever count yourself out! That said, though, word has it that WashU has already given out something like 80% of its acceptances. It's ultimately your call. WashU is definitely an incredible school, but you have to ask yourself what you really want - questions like, "Do I want to live in St. Louis for four years when I could be in Manhattan?"

you aren't necessarily interviewing for a waitlist spot. Frankly, I think WashU is a better school than Cornell. the question is: would you consider going there and give up NYC?? Bottom line: WashU is a great school, you are a competitive candidate, and it can't hurt to check things out. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your responses... it definitely helped me to narrow down the issue here... I think I'll probably go check it out at least... it's just money, right?? ;-)

P.S. Wiggy, I'm not denying that my GPA is good, but other than that I'm a pretty generic candidate... and I figured my MCAT wasn't up to WashU standards... guess that's why stereotypes are bad... ;)

i don't think its worth it. they have the highest mcat ave around. doesn't mean that you won't get accepted but why go when you know that you probably won't want to go there anyway and already have some acceptances?

Wiggy73 said:
On what planet is a 3.9+ GPA in neuro not spectacular?!! :thumbup: Like you say on your profile, don't ever count yourself out! That said, though, word has it that WashU has already given out something like 80% of its acceptances. It's ultimately your call. WashU is definitely an incredible school, but you have to ask yourself what you really want - questions like, "Do I want to live in St. Louis for four years when I could be in Manhattan?"

Do you mean WashU has given out 80% of its ~300 total acceptances or of its ~120 total class spots? The yield of WashU is relatively low (~40% attending of those accepted) so there will may be a lot of waitlist movement.

For what it's worth, I interviewed at Wash U in mid-January, and was accepted a week later, so interviewing at this point certainly does not mean that you are only going to get a waitlist spot.

:) Treg

I really believe that while Wash U is an AMAZING med school, they are very into being the most selective MCAT-wise, so that they remain #2 or can even inch out harvard in the usnews rankings. That said, you are obviously a great candidate, but you would probably enjoy cornell better (NYC, more diverse class) than wash U (st. louis, more homogenous class-because how diverse can you get with an average of a 36 on the MCAT?) anyway. And it seems to me that the might be more likely to accept you late in the game (like may or after)...

doc wanna be--

I interviewed there last week, and FWIW, I was told that they have already given out 200 or the 250 or so seats that are available. Wash U is a great med school, but before you go, I'd be sure that you fit in with the whole mission/culture of the school. congrats on all your acceptance, especially Cornell ;)

davidus said:
Do you mean WashU has given out 80% of its ~300 total acceptances or of its ~120 total class spots? The yield of WashU is relatively low (~40% attending of those accepted) so there will may be a lot of waitlist movement.

This is a good point. I bet a good deal of the students accepted at Wash U may decide to matriculate elsewhere come March. That said, I know many people who have been accepted at Wash U and rejected at every other top school, the majority of which never even had interviews at those schools. Wash U will basically accept anyone with 3.8+/37+, and that is uncomfortable for some but very comfortable for others.