1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice from med students please regarding prepping b4 school starts

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by E'01, Dec 11, 2001.

1. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are there any texts that you guys would recommend reading/browsing before medical school begins? ALso, when you are studying and reading from your texts/handouts/class notes, do you have time to take your own notes from the above, or do you just highlight the important concepts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Brian20

Brian20 Member
    7+ Year Member

E

i think the concensus is to do nothing before medical school. however, i too am going in august and have been casually reading EKG interpretation made for nurses. its not too hard, and i guess it will help a bit....very casual though.

i am not yet there but suggest doing nothing. im gonna take 2 and half months off before school.

4. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Brian20 I've just been feeling a little apprehensive - a little scared but still excited about the voluminous amount of work that awaits... I have Gray's anatomy at home - but I'm having the hardest time approaching it. I guess I need to relax! So what will you be doing during your time off?

5. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Personally E, I'm taking a year off right now doing research. All of my MS-I friends took the entire summer off and have told me to do the same. I'm leaving my job in mid June and just travelling, packing, and going to a couple of weddings. I haven't purchased an anatomy book, stethoscope or anything. I figure every school has different standards for their books.

6. AthensfromCols

7+ Year Member

Relaxing is definitely good advice. I, however, wish I had better backgrounds in the following key areas -- histology, anatomy & physiology, immunology, and biochemistry. These are the hardest parts of the curriculum for me and I wish I had either had the classes in undergrad or had spent some time previewing the books. My school actually gave us a summer reading list to include a general easy to understand anatomy book called The Anatomy Learning System and an easier immunology book called How the Immune System Works. I liked the anatomy book quite a bit and wish I would've spent more time with it before school started. It doesn't give you everything you need to know by any means, but it gives a good introduction to some of the things you will learn in greater detail later.

Good luck!

7. Brian20

Brian20 Member
    7+ Year Member

E

i am currently doing research, which i really dont like but did just for the sake of my application. actually it kinda sucks...i need patient contact and all that good stuff.

i figure i will leave here around early to mid june. im gonna visit a friend in charlotte north carolina and maybe try to take a train somewhere in the US. i really wanna take a long train ride. or maybe i will just get in my car and drive.

I have girlfriend, so i will probably help her move to connecticut...she is a pharmacy student.

i need to look for a place in syracuse (im going to school there). i will probably try to work a bit...if that is possible...maybe i can return to the hospital i once worked at.

as you can see there are no real plans. time to live for a while....i guess. but i get restless rather quickly...i think i will probably work out a great deal and try to spend time with my friends and lady friend.

im excited too, but dont worry too much. you will make it, it will be hard, but you'll make it. relax and dont think about school. i mean really, what are you really gonna learn without the pressure of having tests. just enjoy life.

take care

where you going to school. where are you from?

8. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Dr. Kermit - that's what I'm doing right now...this is actually my 3rd year off (2 spent doing a post-bac and now I'm currently doing research). Travelling sounds good. I'd definitely like to go to some places in the summer.

Athens...I feel the exact same way. Maybe if I had been a science major and had those classes under my belt, I'd feel more relaxed. I only took 3 upper-level science classes (physio, cell bio and HIV biology). 0Do you mind telling me the authors of those anatomy and immuno books?

9. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Brian20 I completely understand. I'm doing research too and even though I'm learning a lot of cool stuff, I really miss patient contact.

So what's syracuse like? Congrats on your acceptance! When do you start? I'm on Long Island. I'm not sure where I'll end up for med school - I got into New Jersey Med and SUNY Brooklyn. Are you from upstate?

10. AthensfromCols

7+ Year Member

If you go to Amazon.com, you can sometimes get great textbooks at used prices. I bought most of mine that way and saved a ton of money. If you look for The Anatomy Learning System and How the Immune System Works, you should find both on Amazon.

Good luck!

11. rubyness

rubyness Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My advice for the summer is do nothing school-like. You will get plenty of this during the year. Just keep in mind that you'll hit the ground running when you start school, and prepare yourself to work hard from the beginning. If you do that, you'll be good to go.

I go to Downstate, so I can tell you that the curriculum is well designed to ease you in to life as a med student. What I mean is that the first block starts off with mostly review (it was review for me, even though I only took basic pre-med requirements) and they quiz you early to make sure you're pacing yourself properly. The first four weeks are like this--you do have to work hard, but it's not intimidating, since you've seen the biology before. The big difference is that you're doing a year's worth of bio in three weeks. (Fourth week is about connective tissue).

So spend the summer doing what you like and enjoy yourself. This is your second to last summer off anyway--make the most if it!

Oh-- in regards to anatomy--I bought Gray's Anatomy a couple years ago, you know, to casually read up on the subject because I thought it would be interesting. The thing is, the anatomy course is very specific and focused--you won't be interested in reading Gray's until you have an assignment to work on, because it's just like that. Again, at Downstate they broke us in gradually, like most places we began with the upper limb, which is a good place to start, and there's enough time during the block to adjust to learning anatomy. Personally, I found that without the direction of the course, I could not peruse Gray's Anatomy with any effectiveness. Don't worry about anatomy. Don't be intimidated by this course. :)

12. penelope

penelope Member
    7+ Year Member

Have the most fun possible before med school. Period. If you ruin your last summer with studying, I guarantee you will regret it. Resist the urge...if you've been accepted, they feel you're qualified as you are.
    penelope

13. E'01

E'01 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks so much for the words of support! Rubyness, may I ask if you live in the dorms? Do you know of anyone that lives on Long Island and commutes?