Need Advice from people who have gone through the admission process this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colours99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please give me your opinions on if its better to retake (i registered in 2009 to retake)and get a better score or go ahead with part 2?
During admissions, in your opinion, stellar part 1 is better viewed than part 2? Part 2 you generally cannot get excellent scores right? It will be more or less around 78 max. So i will have average part 1 and 2.
Please help me decide what to do next.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got a score of 84 and i have a gpa of 3.42-ECE (evaluated more than 5 years ago, dont know if re evaluating it will help)
I also have teaching experience in India and lot of volunteering experience.
Only observation in US. Plus a masters from US.
Please give me your opinions on if its better to retake (i registered in 2009 to retake)and get a better score or go ahead with part 2?
During admissions, in your opinion, stellar part 1 is better viewed than part 2? Part 2 you generally cannot get excellent scores right? It will be more or less around 78 max. So i will have average part 1 and 2.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, I think you can try with what you have right now since you have master degree in US. I don't think you need to retake part 1 since I heard ppl got accepted to school with the score of 83. Instead, pls get GOOD recommendation letters, write a VERY GOOD personal statement, try getting good TOEFL score and you have good chance of acceptance. If you wanna in put more take part 2 to get max score. I really don't think you need to retake part 1.

Thanks Mrswinidm your response is much appreciated! I want to know this, is it rare to have someone with less than 87 to get accepted? Is it an uphill battle if you have scores in this range?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Mrswinidm your response is much appreciated! I want to know this, is it rare to have someone with 83-84 get accepted? Is it an uphill battle if you have scores in this range?

Sure...It is not easy but not impossible.

I got a score of 84 and i have a gpa of 3.42-ECE (evaluated more than 5 years ago, dont know if re evaluating it will help)
I also have teaching experience in India and lot of volunteering experience.
Only observation in US. Plus a masters from US.
Thanks in advance.

Hello, when did you take your part-1? because the score expires in 3 yr I guess but some schools accept scores as old as 5 yr. Also, is the masters you did in the U.S. related to dentistry?

Thanks moderndentist for the reply. Part 1 is recent, Dec 2009. But GPA evaluation is old. Masters in business.
Is part 2 valuable or part 1 in 90's or high 80's more important?

Thanks moderndentist for the reply. Part 1 is recent, Dec 2009. But GPA evaluation is old. Masters in business.
Is part 2 valuable or part 1 in 90's or high 80's more important?

Hi, I guess if you are able to give part-1 again you better do that but I think from 2010 you can not repeat the test once you get 75 or above percentile. If this is the case, you better give part-2 and get good TOEFL, above 100. I am suggesting you this because many schools consider part-1 so it is always good to get high part-1 to be on a safer side. But I do not want to disappoint you because 84 is a very decent score. Moreover people get to give part-1 only once from 2010 once they get 75 or above percentile, as I mentioned before. I would like to tell you to start preparing for part-1 (if you have a chance to give it again, so call ADA and confirm about your eligibility) or part-2 without wasting time.

Does any1 know if in the ECE evaluation form if we international students should mark 'continuing education' or 'professional licensure' if we need the evaluation for the Joint commission to confirm eligibilty for NBDE?? Does it matter? (Coz I'm not sure wat institutions I wanna go to right now so I'm hesitant to choose continuing ed.)
Thanx:)