Need advice from radiology residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hedieh

Belladona
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to every nice radiologist here:
I am an IMG, my dream is to get a radiology residency in USA, I am preparing myself for step 1, I was an above average grad in my country, I think I can get a 90+ in MLES... I was graduted in 1993, I have 8 year experince in working in a very crowded ER, everday I had to watch a lot of xrays & CT scans.
plz tell me about your experience if you donot mind:
What can I do to be accepted in a Radiology residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have US experience? Sorry to say, but radiology is already very competitive, and it is even harder to match as an IMG. To be considered you will most likely need excellent scores on step 1 and step 2; I'd be aiming for high 90s, if not double 99s. Also I've anecdotally heard that experience in the US is helpful, especially if it is at a program that has a radiology residency. Of course research is good too.

Good luck.

Thank you very much guy-incognito for your kind reply. I'd like to find out about my chances before I apply to radiology or other residency positions. So there is only very little chance for me, even if I'll get very descent scores. thanks for your kind reply. Also I want to know, is my age considered a negative factor for being accepted? ( I am 38 now, at the time of the match I'll be 39 or 40).
Are you a radiology resident, guy-incognito?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! 282 visits and only one comment?!!!!!:D:laugh:

More comments.........plz!!!!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! 282 visits and only one comment?!!!!!:D:laugh:

I think the issue may be that your thread title specifically requests input. from Radiology residents. I highly doubt that even 10% of those 282 hits were made by current residents. Only a couple of residents post here. The rest are med. students looking to share ideas about the field/upcoming match etc.

I suggest you try www.auntminnie.com. It gets alot more traffic, and you have a better chance of getting your question(s) answered. Good luck.

Thanks alot Bulletproof for the guaidance...

Try to do some radiology research that gets published. Also, apply broadly, geographically speaking, and be willing to go to community (i.e. non-university) programs.

Bon chance.

Thank you very much col2gw02.