Need advice! GPA: 3.8 and MCAT: 27

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Runforlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need of some advice. I have my heart set on going to an MD school and I am wondering which low MCAT friendly schools I should consider adding to/getting rid of on my list.

Currently I have:

UW Madison (I am a resident)
University of North Dakota
University of Minn and Duluth
Quinnipiac
East Tennessee State
Northeast Ohio
Wright State University
Wayne State
Western Michigan

I submit my AMCAS in early August and I'm wondering if I still have a shot. I have taken a year off from school and have medically related job experience.

I would appreciate any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in need of some advice. I have my heart set on going to an MD school and I am wondering which low MCAT friendly schools I should consider adding to/getting rid of on my list.

Currently I have:

UW Madison (I am a resident)
University of North Dakota
University of Minn and Duluth
Quinnipiac
East Tennessee State
Northeast Ohio
Wright State University
Wayne State
Western Michigan

I submit my AMCAS in early August and I'm wondering if I still have a shot. I have taken a year off from school and have medically related job experience.

I would appreciate any and all advice!
I suggest adding Rosalind Franklin and UIllinois (if the high OOS tuition for the latter isn't an issue), Oakland (MI), NYMC, and EVMS. And why not MCW in your home state?

Whether you have a shot or not will depend on how comprehensive your ECs are overall, as they will need to compensate for the lateness of your application and the lower MCAT score (hopefully with balanced subscores)

I suggest adding Rosalind Franklin and UIllinois (if the high OOS tuition for the latter isn't an issue), Oakland (MI), NYMC, and EVMS. And why not MCW in your home state?

+1 to these schools. You're currently applying to a lot of out of state schools. Those school typically only accept 15-25% of their classes from OOS. It's better to focus on private schools OOS than publics: better to be in a pool of 5000 fighting for 200 spots than in a pool of 5000 fighting for 35 spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
East Tennessee State barely accepts any out-of-state students so unless you have strong ties to the area I wouldn't waste the money. This past cycle only 2 OOS applicants are matriculating.

Similar stats here. Just got an II from Central Michigan (I'm WAY OOS).

That MCAT score will really hurt. <10% of the matriculants had an MCAT score that low.

Strongly suggest that you re-take and aim for 30. However, you'e fine right now for any DO program (including mine).

The only MD schools for which I see any hope are:

University of North Dakota (Oonly if you have the points for thier system, which I doubt)
Quinnipiac
East Tennessee State (forget this one; STRONGLY regional-favoring. Invest in the MSAR)
Western Michigan
MCW
SLU
Rosy F
NYMC
George Washington

Actually SLU has a 10th % of 30, so I'd cross that off the list. no way a 27 is gonna get in

That MCAT score will really hurt. <10% of the matriculants had an MCAT score that low.

Strongly suggest that you re-take and aim for 30. However, you'e fine right now for any DO program (including mine).

University of North Dakota (Oonly if you have the points for thier system, which I doubt)
Quinnipiac
East Tennessee State (forget this one; STRONGLY regional-favoring. Invest in the MSAR)
Western Michigan
MCW
SLU
Rosy F
NYMC
George Washington

Thanks for your input! Keep it coming. I'm trying to put my trust in my state school. I am a re-applicant and have heard that re-applicants at UW Madison tend to do very well....I'm just concerned that my MCAT is holding me back.

Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
MCW
SLU
Rosy F
NYMC
George Washington

Well I already retook the MCAT and did two points better with a 27...and I studied like crazy and even took a class!

What do you mean by: University of North Dakota (Oonly if you have the points for thier system, which I doubt)?

Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
What do you mean by: University of North Dakota (Oonly if you have the points for thier system, which I doubt)?!Reposted:
Originally Posted by Catalystik
I found excellent information in the UND thread from a previous year at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=550792&highlight=Dakota

From Crevac:
"One of the other members sent me a private message about some of the information I had provided earlier in this thread and wanted me to add some more to the topic. So I will try to add a little bit about what I know about the interview process at UND.

The point system is used for granting interviews and is not overly influential on admission, other than you can't get in if you don't interview obviously. I had said earlier that there are 300 points max given for the interview and this total is broken down into 100 for state residency, 100 for MCAT, 50 for overall GPA and 50 for science GPA. About the only other thing that the pre-interview points do is kind of affect when you are scheduled for an interview, but like the school says in the application materials that if you need to have a specific date for interviewing they will try to work with the student to best fit their schedule.

I don't know what the cutoff is for what level of pre-interview points will get someone an interview but last year they had a total of 140 interviewed applicants. It appears that the lowest pre-interview point total was 147. Compared to other schools UND has a much more condensed interview since everyone is interviewed over a 3 week period or so. And by this I mean that instead of taking an entire day or half day for the interview, all of the activities are completed in around 1.5 to 2 hours. When you first arrive you have your picture taken and get to meet several current students and the associate dean of admissions. You also watch a video about the school at this time. There are 4 students scheduled for each interview time slot.

Once all of this is done you have your interview in front of a 3 person group. I think that the groups consist of a current faculty member, a current student and then one more person associated with the school. This interview usually lasts around 45 minutes to an hour and the 3 people then write their own comments about you to take back to the full admissions committee. This complete committee is all 4 groups that conducted the interviews of the students, so there are 12 total committee members. At this point each student is presented to the committee and voted into one of 4 categories by each member. The higher you are rated the more points you receive from that vote and you can receive a total of 36 points. From these totals the process is basically complete as the students with the highest point totals are offered a spot in the class, with a larger number of spots given for ND residents and then the rest for MN/WICHE state residents.

This is about all I can think of right now for this process but I also might have missed something. If you have any other questions I will try to answer it as best I can. And good luck to everyone in this process! "

"no you do not get any points for having great ECs or LORs."
Of course things can change, so also check the school's website.

Very interesting, Thank you! I wonder if being a Wisconsin resident (somewhat close to ND) would give me any points or if I would just be a straight up 0 in the state residency category.

I haven't really heard of any MN residents getting into UND. It's usually 70% ND residents, 20% residents from Wyoming and Montana (no med schools there), and the remaining 10% come from Indian reservations. Do not quote me on this, just what I heard.

I'm not familiar with most of the schools listed but Western Michigan has very low entrance requirements: a minimum overall GPA of 3.25 & MCAT score of 24+ (Note: I've heard it referred to as "Waste-ern")

Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
MCW
SLU
Rosy F
NYMC
George Washington

What about UW Madison, my state school?

Very interesting, Thank you! I wonder if being a Wisconsin resident (somewhat close to ND) would give me any points or if I would just be a straight up 0 in the state residency category.

You'll get 0 for residency. MN, WICHE, and former long term ND residents are the only OOS applicants who get any points.

I haven't really heard of any MN residents getting into UND. It's usually 70% ND residents, 20% residents from Wyoming and Montana (no med schools there), and the remaining 10% come from Indian reservations. Do not quote me on this, just what I heard.

11 spots are reserved for MN/WICHE applicants and its usually a 50/50 split between MN and WICHE applicants for those spots

Last edited:
What about UW Madison, my state school?

your mcat is the 10th percentile, your GPA is right at the median

they interviewed 56% of in state applicants who applied, so its not impossible, but even if you get an interview... you still might get held back by the mcat. especially if youre not URM or have an amazing application elsewhere