1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice guys

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by dypsomania26, Dec 26, 2008.

1. dypsomania26

2+ Year Member

Hey everyone,
    I need some input from you guys on this. I took NBDE part I 3 times and somehow managed to score 84 all the three times so cant think of retaking it again. I am planning to take Part 2 sometime in June 2009 and wanted to know how much time it takes to prepare well for it....I have a 2 yr old and dont get a lotta time to devote everyday........ also does a better score on Part 2 offset a lower score on Part I while applying to California schools which say that they only look at Part I?
    My other stats are Toefl 116 (ibT) , 2.5 yrs exp in home country, 3 years in US as DA/ Observer, currently doing MPH.

I got waitlisted at UOP but know that they have already called people from the alternate list so am losing hope. :(:(
    For now the only thing I can think of improving on my resume is taking Part 2.

Please advice, any suggestions are highly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dypsomania26

2+ Year Member

Please advise guys, I really need some input on this...

4. incision

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    Dear dypsomania

'Keep the FAITH'

Your resume looks really good. Score doesnt matter. I whole heartedly suggest you to take nbde part-2 ASAP and apply for colorado and tufts.
    i am certain u will definitely get into any DDS program if you try hard and apply to schools as early as possible. apply for colorado rit now and you can even update ur part-2 score before u go fr interview....just passing scores is also enough..but try to get atleast 80 or 80 plus marks....applications for tufts starts in april and they have rollin admissins....so apply early....

hope this helps.

5. Kal ka dentist

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Where as i know most of the universities just stick with the deadline and they do not accept any updated application or score after the deadline.

for colorado check this :

NATIONAL BOARD DENTAL EXAMINATION- PART I​
    Original or notarized results of the National Board Dental Examination Part I showing all four sections successfully passed. There is no
    cut off score for NBD PT I; only passing score (75) is required. Part II is encouraged, however, is not required. If Part II has been
    taken, scores need to be submitted
    before deadline to be considered as part of the application.

6. incision

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    HI Kal Ka dentist

I accept with u....most schools accept only scores reported within the deadlines....

7. dypsomania26

2+ Year Member

Hi Incision,

Thank u so much for the encouragement, I will try and take part 2 asap, I just started preparing and its tough managing my Masters, an active 2 yr old and studying for part 2 all at the same time so am not sure how early I would be able to give the exam. I am planning to apply to Colorado and UIC ( I am a resident ) next year other than California schools so hopefully something will come through. Do u think I should apply to Tufts? I thought they need higher scores....

Btw weren't u in the alternate list at UOP too? Did u get the acceptance call from them? Or have u been accepted elsewhere?
    Wish u all the very best

8. incision

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    HI dypsomania

I heard people got accpeted this yr with low scores at tufts...check their acceptance thread....u never know anything might happen...be positive and apply to as many schools as possible......make sure you apply as early as possible by april/may if ur applyin to tufts.....

I withdrew frm alternate list frm UOP as I got accepted at BU.....

wish u good luck....

9. drjughead03

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi Dypsomania..

I am sailin in the same boat...I got my results this week and scored 84 first attempt..

I am unable to decide should i aply to BU and NYU this yr or go ahead retake part 1 or take part 2..

Hope someone can help me decide..

Thnx in advance and Wish u all Happy new yr...

#8 drjughead03, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  10. dypsomania26

2+ Year Member

Congrats on getting into BU and wish u all the very best with school
    thanks for ur advise and support :)

11. dypsomania26

2+ Year Member

Hi DrJughead,

I am guessing since we have avg scores on Part I taking Part 2 is a good option. You have wonderful experience so u will be accepted somewhere, I too have experience both in US and India so am hoping that that kinda makes up for the scores.
    Wish u all the best.

12. drjughead03

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thnx Dypsomania...Encouragement is golden here...Lets stay in touch..I am in Houston..where r u based ?

13. dypsomania26

2+ Year Member

You said it absolutely right.... sure we'll be in touch, I am in California, in the bay area