1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

** Need Advice: How to approach / memorize

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by TheAnonymous, Aug 15, 2015.

1. TheAnonymous

2+ Year Member

Hi everyone,

I do realize that this has been brought up numerous times in the official threads but I was hoping if I could kindly ask for more feedback / advice / guidance. I have around 3 weeks left. I have been taking full-lengths and I would like to continue taking full lengths and start using the Khan Academy passages but there are many things I still haven't memorized/mastered specially when it comes to Biology and Psychology/Sociology.

I have no idea how important it is to sit down and memorize VS. taking full lengths and doing khan academy passages!

Stuff like:

1. Minutia of brain structure/anatomy (the minor divisions and their functions)
    2. Minutia of olfaction, gustation, auditory/visual system anatomy (name of all structures/function/detailed pathways)
    3. Minutia of psychological disorders (should I know the major categories or all the symptoms/criteria for diagnosis, etc.)
    4. Full list of drugs (depressants, stimulants, opiates/opioids) - don't laugh lol
    5. Details of Immune System (like all cell types) and other minutia biology details

I don't know if I should dedicate the last 7-10 days watching all Khan Academy Videos in Psychology/Sociology, taking notes or instead read my Kaplan/TPR Psychology/Sociology Book and memorize all terms. Or just continue taking full lengths and utilize KA passages?

What is the most efficient thing to do at this point in my prep? :(

Thank you in advance,

2. fleur64

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can split it up. Take a couple days to memorize some of the stuff on the list you made. I can't say how you should memorize it, that depends on your learning style. Maybe watch khan academy videos for the stuff you don't fully understand from the TPR/Kaplan books? Create sheets of the info you need to memorize and every day spend some time on it. Soon enough you will know it. You can continue to take practice exams but spread them out so you aren't wasting exams when there are content gaps that need to be addressed first.

TheAnonymous likes this.
  3. kanda1o

Pre-Medical
    I would split it up! I find watching Khan Academy videos for too long of a stretch to be mentally taxing, (for me at least).

TheAnonymous likes this.
  4. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Knowing what functions the parts control in a basic sense seems like a good idea.

Yikes. Hopefully that yields 1 question for you (one that specifically deals with that kind of minutiae and not more general ideas), though I'd bet against it.

Rote memorizing lists of symptoms is stupid. Get a basic feel for what the main features of each are.

Knowing about GABA receptors could be helpful here. Most people are able to reason out this sort of stuff. If you know absolutely nothing about how common drugs affect people then, yeah, I guess you'd just go over it a few times to get a feel for what each does.

This applies to a lot of other topics, as you've noted. I don't know if you mean "details" in the sense of know what a monocyte and a plasma cell is (probably needed), or if you mean like know the exact difference between cytokines and lymphokines (probably not needed).

TheAnonymous and fleur64 like this.
  5. gothicfoxes

gothicfoxes MD & MPH goals
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    If you think the videos are helpful, listen to them while you're not studying -- getting dressed/ready for work, making dinner, doing dishes. As kanda1o said they're very time consuming and likely a waste of precious study time, but listening to them when you're not devoted to studying might be helpful. I do this with lectures/ youtube videos before exams and it helps. x

TheAnonymous likes this.
  6. TheAnonymous

2+ Year Member

Thank you for everyone for your invaluable inputs!

One more question: should I prioritize Khan Academy passages over taking FLs? I have more FLs than I could possibly take with the time left, but should I first complete all Khan Academy passages first? Would love to hear what you guys think.

7. gothicfoxes

gothicfoxes MD & MPH goals
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Which do you think is helping you more? If you find that you're learning more from FLs, then keep doing that. Same with Khan Academy. It depends on how both these resources are supplementing your prior knowledge. x

TheAnonymous likes this.
  8. TheAnonymous

2+ Year Member

Thanks! I honestly don't know which one is going to be helping me more lol I wish I had the time to do everything...

9. kanda1o

Pre-Medical
    With my exam on the 22nd.. I feel like practice passages/exams are the best bet. That followed by a detailed review of ones I got wrong, and then content review between passages/exams.