Need advice in a dilemma!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldoc729

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a freshman right now and decided I was going to do engineering prior to entering college. I took a bunch of engineering classes including chem for engineers, but realized it wasn't for me. My passion has always been to become a doctor but I have always doubted myself, hence why I thought engineering would be a good idea. Well, now I've decided to do pre med and stick with it. My problem comes with the pre reqs. I'll be done with physics 1& 2 this semester but I only took chem 1 for engineers. I wanted to take chem 2 and bio 1 in the fall of my soph year and orgo 1 in the spring so I would be on good pace. However, I can't take bio 1 with chem 2 because the times don't work out. I am not strong in chem whatsoever. My real only option is to take Chem 2 at CC. I can't take it in the summer at my univ because the head of the chem depart is teaching it and his grading is brutal. Any ideas on how bad it would look to adcoms if I take this 1 class at CC.

Members don't see this ad.

That won't be a problem. But you'll probs get more input in the pre-allo forum than here, and the CC thing has been discussed in depth.

Good luck!

Ordinarily CC coursework is fine, especially for non-trad students. However, if you give the appearance that you're trying to avoid your own UG school's weeding courses, that will be held against you.

Im a freshman right now and decided I was going to do engineering prior to entering college. I took a bunch of engineering classes including chem for engineers, but realized it wasn't for me. My passion has always been to become a doctor but I have always doubted myself, hence why I thought engineering would be a good idea. Well, now I've decided to do pre med and stick with it. My problem comes with the pre reqs. I'll be done with physics 1& 2 this semester but I only took chem 1 for engineers. I wanted to take chem 2 and bio 1 in the fall of my soph year and orgo 1 in the spring so I would be on good pace. However, I can't take bio 1 with chem 2 because the times don't work out. I am not strong in chem whatsoever. My real only option is to take Chem 2 at CC. I can't take it in the summer at my univ because the head of the chem depart is teaching it and his grading is brutal. Any ideas on how bad it would look to adcoms if I take this 1 class at CC.

Reactions: 1 user
As well as you'll be making it more difficult on yourself down the road. If your taking a series class, keep the whole series at the same school. Believe me, they can have wildly different material and especially in chem you build directly off the last class. Think of it this way, take the one with the brutal grading, destroy it, and you'll be in that much better of a position for everything that comes next. Better prepared for the mcat, for ochem, for the rest of the series. You shouldn't be skipping classes because a head of department is teaching it. You won't be able to do that in med school now will you?

Reactions: 1 user