Need advice, MCAT date approaching!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rach83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on June 18th. I haven't had as much time to study as I'd like and I'm not completely comfortable with a lot of the material.

1) Since I don't know the material THAT well, is it a waste of AAMC practice tests to be studying from those in the next weeks (if my score ends up being terrible and I have to re-take later on, or worse yet I have to re-schedule)?

2) Is it realistic to increase one's score by ~5 points in 2.5 weeks using practice exams with content review after, or should I think about re-scheduling in order to go back to content review?

I'm trying to gauge how risky it is to go ahead and take the test in the hopes that I can pull it off, vs waiting a few weeks and being "late" in the application cycle.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I'm in the same position you are. The thing I think is most important in your position would be confidence in your abilities and preparedness. I think using the practice tests won't hinder you, especially if you get explanations because it can also help strengthen your content knowledge.

I personally am going to try to review content until I know I can recognize the right answer even if I can't come up with it completely myself. I want to be prepared but not overly so where I don't have a life. But this is just my opinion.

As for it being risky to re-take it now it's more up to you and how well u think you can understand it. 5 points is a nice little jump and I would think a month or so of review would be able to help you get that.:thumbup: Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. :) Good luck on your MCAT!

Has anyone else been able to raise their score by ~5 points in 2 weeks? Not sure if I should waste my AAMC practice tests if it's unlikely that I'll be able to raise my score enough for my date in 2 weeks. :confused: