Need advice on admissions limbo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverwoman1040

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently waitlisted at two schools, far enough down the list that I have a definite, but small chance of getting in, and I'm waiting to hear back from one school post-interview.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the next year if I don't get it, but I have a dilemma.

I have a hospital that will train me as a phlebotomist for free if I want to work there. I like this option because it gives me more clinical experience which will help me in applying next year if I reapply. It also gives me something positive to write in a LOI to one of my waitlist schools right now. However, strings are being pulled to get my on site training, and it won't look good if I take the training, get into school, and then quit. Also, other than helping me get into med school, I don’t see any long term benefits here.

The other option I've been looking at is an MPH program starting in July, and going through next June. I really want to get an MPH at some point, so this has definite long term benefits. It’s also perfect because I would be done in plenty of time to start med school in fall of 08. I need to apply really soon, so I’ve accepted that I may be out application fees if I get in within the next couple of weeks. The problem here is that if I start the program, and then get off a waitlist, I either have to turn down an MD acceptance (which I desperately want) or be out a semesters worth of private school tuition (which I don’t have).

I couldn't defer an acceptance off of a waitlist, could I? I don't want to call the school that I'm waiting to hear from post-interview and ask about deference in case it hurts my chances somehow.

Does anyone see a good solution to this? I’d appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently waitlisted at two schools, far enough down the list that I have a definite, but small chance of getting in, and I'm waiting to hear back from one school post-interview.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the next year if I don't get it, but I have a dilemma.

I have a hospital that will train me as a phlebotomist for free if I want to work there. I like this option because it gives me more clinical experience which will help me in applying next year if I reapply. It also gives me something positive to write in a LOI to one of my waitlist schools right now. However, strings are being pulled to get my on site training, and it won't look good if I take the training, get into school, and then quit. Also, other than helping me get into med school, I don’t see any long term benefits here.

The other option I've been looking at is an MPH program starting in July, and going through next June. I really want to get an MPH at some point, so this has definite long term benefits. It’s also perfect because I would be done in plenty of time to start med school in fall of 08. I need to apply really soon, so I’ve accepted that I may be out application fees if I get in within the next couple of weeks. The problem here is that if I start the program, and then get off a waitlist, I either have to turn down an MD acceptance (which I desperately want) or be out a semesters worth of private school tuition (which I don’t have).

I couldn't defer an acceptance off of a waitlist, could I? I don't want to call the school that I'm waiting to hear from post-interview and ask about deference in case it hurts my chances somehow.

Does anyone see a good solution to this? I’d appreciate any insight.

I would do the MPH and ask for a deferral if you get in.

If they won't give you the deferral, well, that's what loans are for. Go to med school, finish the MD, and then go back and finish your MPH later. A lot of docs get their MPH after med school. I remember I had several docs in my MPH program.

Some schools don't let you apply for a deferral if you get off a waitlist. Just call without saying who you are and ask if you're allowed to do that first.