Need advice on gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a senior in college and will graduate in July of 2018. Unfortunately I won't be able to take biochemistry, and organic chemistry until spring and summer of my senior year. This complicates my plan of taking the MCAT in July and applying in August. I was wondering if my only option is taking two gap years and applying in July of 2019 instead for 2020 matriculation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you take the MCAT when you're ready. Assuming your school wraps up in early May it would be beneficial for you to have at least 1-1.5 months of dedicated study (or more if you need it). If you apply to just one school to get your application verified you should be fine even if your score comes in August...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your reply, my problem is I can't take biochemistry until summer of my senior year. So I finish biochemistry in July. If I take the MCAT in August and apply in September would that be late?

Members don't see this ad :)
You might need wiser minds to weigh in, but are you absolutely sure you'll be ready to take it in August? If you're not sure, I would recommend another gap year just so you have everything ready. It might actually end up helping you build a stronger application as well...

***Also I know people who took the MCAT without having taken Biochemistry yet, see if you are able to self teach yourself as the actual content is not too dense.

Reactions: 1 user
The summer Biochem class would only be ~20-25 hours per week, right? If you spent another 20hrs/week reviewing for the MCAT in all the other subjects, and then take the MCAT right at the end of your biochem class, you should be able to hit complete by Labor Day (that's the target for normal timing).

Thank you both of you for your help, I'll consider both your advices. I'm meeting with my counselor soon also so I'll discuss with her what you told me also, thanks again !

Something to consider is that you might have some awesome opportunities if you take two gap years. I was looking into applying for the Fulbright this year, until I realized that I would have to put medical school off for another year. At my age (35), that's kind of a bigger deal than at, say, 22. I would definitely put it off another year for a multitude of reasons, one of which being that you probably won't be able to get the MCAT score you want and get into the school you want if you push forward. But also think of all of the opportunities you might have. You could join TFA or the Peace Corps or Americorp or perhaps apply for a Fulbright. You will grow in ways you cannot imagine and you will be a better doctor for it.

Thanks DBC03, I understand how beneficial it would be for me to take the 2 gap years, parents are the main problem for me since it will be hard to convince them that I'm taking 2 years off to better my resume. But I'm definitely favoring the 2 year gap and peace corps sounds amazing !

Thanks DBC03, I understand how beneficial it would be for me to take the 2 gap years, parents are the main problem for me since it will be hard to convince them that I'm taking 2 years off to better my resume. But I'm definitely favoring the 2 year gap and peace corps sounds amazing !

Yes, parents can make things a bit more complicated. Mine never wanted me to pursue medicine, so I was in a very different position than most students. It's even more complicated if they have offered to pay for part or all of it! But it will definitely make you a better candidate, so try that angle if you can!

Do what you think is best for you. I could have applied next year, but I decided to delay my applications by a year to work in a lab as a research assistant because I picked up an interest in biomedical research, so I wanted to see if I see if I should pursue MD or MD-PhD.