MD & DO Need advice on if I have a chance at any med school. Big step in life!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aareg94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I graduated with my bachelors this May. I am a pre-med and I am planning on taking 2 gap years before applying to medical school. But I really want your opinions on if I should apply/if I have even the slightest chance of getting into one. My GPA are as follows:
Fall Freshman: 3.771
Spring Freshman: 3.421
Fall Sophomore: 3.870
Spring Sophomore: 3.190
Fall Junior: 3.804
Spring Junior: 3.385
Fall Senior: 3.196
Spring Senior: 3.611

My science GPA came out to be 3.58 and my over GPA 3.543. I was faintly involved in a pre-med club but didn't really do anything in it. Other than that, I had zero involvements on campus. I volunteered my sophomore year, got about 60 hours and I have volunteered about 90 after I graduated. I am about to start a job as a medical scribe. I haven't taken the MCAT but I am hoping to get around 510 on it. I should have decent recommendations from professor that I did well in their classes. I am Nepali and have to list myself as Asian in the application. I am a resident of Illinois.

I don't plan to saying or stating this to the ADCOMS but toward the end of my Freshman year, I began to suffer from anxiety and depression and got out of the rut the fall of my Senior year. Over the summer, I always worked on self improvement and started the Fall strong but I would become anxious and depressed by the end of Fall all my years. Wasn't until summer after my Junior year and fall Senior year that I permanently became myself again.

I really want to be a physician. But I understand that my stats aren't that good. That's why I want your thoughts and opinions on if I have a shot at any MD or DO schools. Also, if you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to better my chances or have any experience yourself, please feel free to share!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you score 500 or higher on the MCAT you should be able to receive several DO interviews as long as you apply broadly to at least 15 schools. For MD school you would probably need a 508 or higher.

Faha, what kind of schools should I apply to in your opinion with I can get 510 on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Faha, what kind of schools should I apply to in your opinion with I can get 510 on the MCAT?
These are schools where you could receive an interview with a MCAT of 510:
U Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Creighton
Tulane
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Vermont

The ups and downs are concerning. Your academic performance is, to put it mildly, erratic. More importantly, can you put it year by year. We look at classes, but we don't break these down into semester GPAs.

Fall Freshman: 3.771
Spring Freshman: 3.421
Fall Sophomore: 3.870
Spring Sophomore: 3.190
Fall Junior: 3.804
Spring Junior: 3.385
Fall Senior: 3.196
Spring Senior: 3.611

My science GPA came out to be 3.58 and my over GPA 3.543. I was faintly involved in a pre-med club but didn't really do anything in it.

Not good, but nothing you can do it now except do more in your gap year.
Other than that, I had zero involvements on campus. I volunteered my sophomore year, got about 60 hours and I have volunteered about 90 after I graduated.

Good.
I am about to start a job as a medical scribe.

Words are easy, doing is harder. Come back with an MCAT score and then we can better advise you. A 3.5 GPA won't get you into Harvard or Penn, but is still competitive. The lack of ECs is more problematic.

I haven't taken the MCAT but I am hoping to get around 510 on it. I should have decent recommendations from professor that I did well in their classes. I am Nepali and have to list myself as Asian in the application. I am a resident of Illinois.

Don't even think about continuing in this process until your mental health issues are under control. Med school is a furnace and I've seen it break even healthy students.

I don't plan to saying or stating this to the ADCOMS but toward the end of my Freshman year, I began to suffer from anxiety and depression and got out of the rut the fall of my Senior year. Over the summer, I always worked on self improvement and started the Fall strong but I would become anxious and depressed by the end of Fall all my years. Wasn't until summer after my Junior year and fall Senior year that I permanently became myself again.

Reactions: 1 user