Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need Advice on MCAT scores

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by abs39, Jun 11, 2002.

1. abs39

abs39 Member

I am not very happy with my MCAT score (9v, 8P, 10B Q). GPA 3.76 Computer Science Major graduated from a state school two years ago. I have some EC's and shadowing, but nothing spectacular. I'm really not sure whether to apply with these scores or retake. I wold be happy to attend a state school. I know that people get into schools with these scores, but many are stuck on waiting lists well into the summer. I wonder if I am at more of a disadvantage with these scores, or waiting for August scores. I think that I could do better, but I thought that I would do better this time as well. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Olanzapine

Olanzapine Banned
    Banned

Did you take a review course to get those scores? If not, take a review course and take the August MCAT. Study hard while taking the review course and be sure to do a lot of practice problems. If you really want to be in med school next year, you should probably apply to a couple of DO schools just in case.

4. abs39

abs39 Member

I didn't take a review course, but I used the PR and Kaplan books and tests from the course, and also AAMC tests and problems. I spent a long time preparing, and was getting between 30-35 on practice tests.

5. seaturtle112

seaturtle112 Member

It's worth it to take it again, I would think. esp. if you were getting 30-35 (not that practice tests are failproof indicators). I mean, a point or two on PS could really help you out. and PS is something that if you put the time in you can really move up your score. but hey, the important thing is whether or not you feel like you did everything you could on the MCAT. let that guide your decision.

good luck! :)

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    If money is not a limiting factor then I would go ahead and apply. People have definitely been accepted to medical school with a 27 and 3.76 GPA. How is your science GPA?

7. abs39

abs39 Member

My science GPA is 3.79. mpp, I'm not sure I understand exactly what money has to do with it.

8. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

I think mpp means that the stronger your stats, the less schools you need to apply to, the less $ you're blowing...and vice versa.

9. Hi, I was in a very similar situation when I first took the MCAT. I was scoring in the low 30s range on practice tests, then took the actual test and made an 11,8,8. And I was a Molecular Biology major. Go figure. I retook the test and moved all the way up to an 11,8,9. However, had I not come down with pneumonia, the results probably would have been much better. Regardless, I still got into medical school this year. My scores were balanced out by a good GPA and research experience. I would recommend taking the test a second time with a review course if possible. They rarely hurt your score. But don't be discouraged about applying; your science gpa is solid and with a great application essay and interview, I think an acceptance is well within your reach.

Casey

10. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

Ok... this is just scary... my gpa is a 3.76 from a state school and I'm a CS major (turned Math major/CS minor just 2 months ago due to schedule issues).

Anyway...
    I would say that you could get in with your scores. I've said this before... it's really not an issue of "could I get in." Of course you ~could~ get in. However, with those stats, there's only maybe a 70% chance you will get in if you apply to lower end schools (which is not bad). If you want something more like an 90% chance, then you should retake the MCAT.

Just my input...

11. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    My point about money is just what do you have to lose by applying...only money and a bit of time. The worst they can do is reject you. You can always retake the exam and apply next year. By the way, that's a great science GPA.

The problem with applying in August is that the scores are not returned until October. If you indicate on the AMCAS application that you are taking the August exam, schools will not review your application until the August scores are received. At that point, it is late for schools to be reviewing your application and you are more likely to be put on waitlists.

If I were in your shoes, I would apply now to a wide range of schools. If things are not looking good by spring, then take the April 2003 MCAT and reapply next year. Waiting a year and going throught the application cycle twice is tough of course, but I think you have a chance of being accepted this year and that chance is increased if your application is in early.