Need Advice on MCATS and Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

craigmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 years of undergrad sciences to catch up on before I can start med school. For Fall 2009/Spring 2010, I'll be taking 2 Gen Chem Classes, 2 Bio classes, and 2 Physics classes. Then in Fall 2010, I'll be taking my first Gen chem and Genetics.

However, if I wait until I finish all my classes in the Spring of 2011 and THEN take my MCAT and apply for med school, I will have a one year gap in between finishing prereqs and starting med school. I'd like to avoid this if at all possible.

So, I've been vigorously working through an organic chemistry book on my own time, and so far I've managed to teach myself half a semester's worth of material in just a couple of weeks. And so far, I have a very firm grasp of everything I've studied.

Is it foolish to think I can continue studying like this, even while working and schooling full time, just so I can take the MCAT before actually taking any org chem classes?? I'm a great self-learner, but I was wondering what other people's thoughts were on trying to accomplish such a monumental feat.

Thanks for your time!

P.S. I should also add that I called my preferred med school, and their admissions office told me that I would still be a viable candidate even if I hadn't taken org chem by the time I applied. She said as long as I had it finished by the time I entered med school, and as long as my MCATs were good, then I should be okay.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of nontrads follow this plan. There is very little orgo on the MCAT, and what is on there isn't particularly difficult as far as orgo goes. If you finish gen chem, physics and bio by the end of Spring 2010, you can study for the MCAT (which will mostly involve practice exams, since the material should be fresh for you), and take it before starting orgo and genetics in the Fall of 2010. Granted, it can be a lot to balance those two classes and completing secondaries, but again, it's not out of the ordinary.

Honestly, if you have a tight grasp of what's in the o-chem section of an MCAT review book, and you're scoring consistently in the 30s on practice tests, whatever you choose to do is fine. The final arbiter should be your performance on timed practice tests from eMCAT. Invest the money to take as many practice tests as possible. It'll be money well spent and way better than any Kaplan or Princeton Review course.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of nontrads follow this plan. There is very little orgo on the MCAT, and what is on there isn't particularly difficult as far as orgo goes. If you finish gen chem, physics and bio by the end of Spring 2010, you can study for the MCAT (which will mostly involve practice exams, since the material should be fresh for you), and take it before starting orgo and genetics in the Fall of 2010. Granted, it can be a lot to balance those two classes and completing secondaries, but again, it's not out of the ordinary.

actually the last MCAT had a bunch of orgo on it. Go read the official MCAT thread from june. They were all shocked that it was mostly or hugely favoring orgo this time.

actually the last MCAT had a bunch of orgo on it. Go read the official MCAT thread from june. They were all shocked that it was mostly or hugely favoring orgo this time.

Maybe they picked up on the fact that people weren't doing well enough on the Orgo questions....