Need Advice on medical schools with high non-trad acceptance rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cally26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 28years old, gained a degree in optometry from Nigeria and practiced in an ophthalmological centre for 4 years. Recently moved to the U.S and intend to pursue medicine and hopefully Ophthalmology in the long run. Taking my prereqs at the moment. Those anyone have recommendation on medical schools with a high acceptance rates for non tradition applicant like myself, or is there an existing thread that has dealt with similar question?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey OP,

No school will discriminate against you for being a non trad. Traditionally speaking, DO schools are a little more "non trad" friendly, but if you have the grades and MCAT for an allopathic school, none of them will look at your app negatively because you took a different route to medical school.

Some schools though do require that you got an undergraduate degree in the United States. Unfortunately I don't know the extent of this practice so hopefully someone else can comment. I know other schools just require you take x amount of credits at American higher ed institutions in lieu of a full degree in the states.

I'd look into that so you know the total number of American credits you'll need, and otherwise just keep working hard, get high grades and a solid MCAT and apply. Non trad students have become so much more common that again, no school is unused to taking them. Make a school list later on based on more concrete things like stats, and again, schools that have requirements you've met in terms of courses/degrees in the US.

Good luck!

Above poster is correct in that no school will discriminate against a non-trad applicant and in my experience many medical schools see it as more of a pro than a con up to a certain age (you are by NO means too old though so don't think that). Also, DO schools typically like non-trads like above poster mentioned. It shows life experience, especially you being an optometrist, which is a pretty large advantage to those applying right out of undergrad with a bachelors degree. Overall, I see your situation as advantageous to you if anything. I was in a similar situation to you, but a chiropractor who went back to med school so I had already been through professional school just as you have. 28 as well when I started med school and am an M1 now so if you have any questions feel free to inbox me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to disagree that adcoms won't discriminate against a candidate because of age, but in your case, you won't be old enough to elicit that response by the time you apply. However, you will most likely need to have a degree from a US undergrad institution. As mentioned, DO schools are more friendly to non-trads, but ophthalmology is a competitive specialty and getting a residency slot will be harder as a DO than as an MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes forgot to add that^. Optho is very competitive. I would go MD if thats your goal instead of DO. Still possible as a DO just more difficult

The only medical schools that have a high acceptance rate are DO and carribean schools. If you go Carribean, it will be extremely diffuclt to get opthmaology if not impossible. DO residencies are being phased out with merger so you shouldn't count on them. Im currently 28 yo too but a pgy 2 resident. Im telling you, if you do medicine you really have no idea of the things you will encounter that you will not be able to control. MCAT, USLME, clinicals etc. Just go into medicine with an open mind is my advice and expect a long process. Your looking 8 years at the very least.

I am a 28years old, gained a degree in optometry from Nigeria and practiced in an ophthalmological centre for 4 years. Recently moved to the U.S and intend to pursue medicine and hopefully Ophthalmology in the long run. Taking my prereqs at the moment. Those anyone have recommendation on medical schools with a high acceptance rates for non tradition applicant like myself, or is there an existing thread that has dealt with similar question?
If you're concerned about your classes not transferring over or if you've taken them a long time ago then I recommend doing a post-bacc.

Otherwise, just take the MCAT and apply. Assuming you do well on it and satisfy all the necessary pre reqs, no one will reject you just because you're a non-trad.

OP

Are you a permanent resident of the US? You have to take your residential status into account. If I were you, I would get your status figured out before embarking your premed journey.
Yes, I am currently a permanent resident.

If you are “would rather not be a doctor if I can’t be an optho” don’t do this at all, the odds are too low

If you are “really would prefer optho”, go MD only because DO changes your odds

If you could tolerate any specialty, apply MD and DO.

Don’t go to the carribean if you want to be an american doctor

Reactions: 1 users
Appreciate your responses.
But a major concern for me is my foreign clinical experience. Having worked in one of the best ophthalmological institutes in Africa for 4 years, hand in hand with vitro-retinal, glaucoma, pediatric and all sorts of ophthalmologists, does this count for me as sufficient clinical experience or not considered at all?
also, does my volunteering in series of outreach exercise across the disadvantaged villages of Africa count?
I guess I am curious because if my degree and classes doesn't count for my required pre reqs, will anything I did outside the US or Canada count towards my application?

Appreciate your responses.
But a major concern for me is my foreign clinical experience. Having worked in one of the best ophthalmological institutes in Africa for 4 years, hand in hand with vitro-retinal, glaucoma, pediatric and all sorts of ophthalmologists, does this count for me as sufficient clinical experience or not considered at all?
also, does my volunteering in series of outreach exercise across the disadvantaged villages of Africa count?
I guess I am curious because if my degree and classes doesn't count for my required pre reqs, will anything I did outside the US or Canada count towards my application?
The clinical experience and volunteering you did there definitely does count. However, you're applying to become a doctor in the US not in Africa, so you should show that you also understand what it means to be a doctor here. So you should still do some shadowing and volunteer work in the US, just to show that you've explored both sides.

How are the pre-req courses going so far?

Your written English seems to be better than most SDNer’s, so that’s good.

I think if you can manage a decent MCAT score you’ll be an extremely strong candidate and get in to many schools.

Reactions: 1 users
How are the pre-req courses going so far?

Your written English seems to be better than most SDNer’s, so that’s good.

I think if you can manage a decent MCAT score you’ll be an extremely strong candidate and get in to many schools.
It has been a whole year, but yes, prereq courses are going good so far. Currently have 60 hrs including Prereq courses require for most med schools with a 4.0 GPA. Would have had 150 hrs of clinical volunteer and 100 hrs of non clinical by the time i apply and a volunteer of the year 2019 for the hospice. These of course excludes hundreds of hrs of volunteer works in Africa before i came to the US. I'm an ophthalmological assistant so hopefully, that should count for clinical experience. Could use some recommendations on school to apply to.

It has been a whole year, but yes, prereq courses are going good so far. Currently have 60 hrs including Prereq courses require for most med schools with a 4.0 GPA. Would have had 150 hrs of clinical volunteer and 100 hrs of non clinical by the time i apply and a volunteer of the year 2019 for the hospice. These of course excludes hundreds of hrs of volunteer works in Africa before i came to the US. I'm an ophthalmological assistant so hopefully, that should count for clinical experience. Could use some recommendations on school to apply to.

Thanks for the update, sounds like things are moving along nicely for you. Nobody can give you advice on a school list without an MCAT score, so come back once you’ve taken the exam.

I think your extensive service record in Africa will be an asset when it comes time for you to apply. Good luck!