Need advice on MPH and career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SALADITO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to this site. I just found it a few minutes ago and I am really impressed with the help and networking that is available here.

Well, I have a dilemma here. I was a student at UCLA's MPH program in Health Services on a Management track. However, graduating with a bachelor's in history made me feel really awkward at school. I thought that because I worked at a medical clinic for a few years I'd fit right in and do just fine. However, I felt really weird sitting in class next to emergency room doctors, GI's.... etc... It was cool working with them, but when the reality of actually studying next to them came, it hit me hard.

I withdrew from the program, unfortunately, when I felt I had no one to reach out to. I'd send emails out to department heads, asking how I could switch departments. Maybe I was in the wrong one? I never got responses. At a MPH social event UCLA had at a nearby bar.... the president of the MPHAlumni Association actually told me.... "what the f... are you doing here?" when let him know I had majored in history. This wouldn't have been so bad, if I had not already been feeling like I didn't belong...

Well, I've had a couple of months to think things through, and I now realize, more than ever, that this is what I want to go back and study. I am ready to now overcome whatever obstacles are in front me... academic and psychological. I have emailed the dean of the MPH program at UCLA, and she said she'd get back to me in 2 days... This was over a week ago now. No response. So, now I am looking into applying at USC, and other schools that still accepting applications for the fall.

I know that I want to do international work, primarily in Brazil. I have been there a number of times already on summer abroad programs through UCLA. Besides falling in love with the country, there are a lot of public health issues that need to be addressed down there.

Are there any schools, programs you guys suggest for me to apply to? Words of encouragement??? I need all the help I can right now to jump back into what I started and not let anything get in my way. I guess what I'm asking from you guys is academic guidance and, above all, moral support.

Thanks for your time, peeps......

Sal

Members don't see this ad.

Hihi Sal,

Well, it's good to have you here! It sounds like you went through a lot to figure out things, but it's good that you have it sorted out now. That being said, you should be prepared to explain why you dropped out the first time. Schools will definately want a good explaination for your behavior, because it might be seen as taking a risk again.

As for what schools to apply to - that is going to be tough. Most deadlines have already passed, but there are a few that are still accepting applications. I wouldn't apply to USC if I were you - their program is mostly a community health based approach, and doesn't do much to address international concerns (to my knowledge). The program there is very limited since it runs out of their medical school and is not a full school of public health, so it might not be your best bet.

I think the University of Michigan and University of Iowa are still accepting applications, but I'm not sure. Someone on here said awhile back Michigan's deadline is 4/1 and Iowa's (for my department anyways) is 6/1. Both are decently ranked public health schools all-around, and I think both have international health and epidemiology departments. I'm not sure about other schools to be honest - most of the ones I applied to have had their deadlines pass already.

I think you should address your decision in your personal statement, and explain well and clearly why you decided to come back to public health. If you have any other questions, please respond back! I hope this helps.

Hi A.D......

Thanks so much for your response. I will definitely look into those schools. I am still awaiting from a response from the Director of Academic Progress at UCLA. What I'm hoping for the most is to get back into the program that I was in. I can almost bet that it goes against policy guidelines, however, if they have a heart, they can bend those rules..... I'm only hoping.

As far as ranking goes, I know that UCLA is up there. I'm not sure what number, nor am I too interested in exactly what the numbers are. I am only interested that the school has a good reputation and that it has a good networking capability. UCLA was the bomb diggity for networking. I keep kicking myself in the butt for dropping out. I dropped out rather quickly.. in the second week of my very first quarter. I wanted to just get out before I messed up...... But this has given me a chance to "see what I've lost", and really, I think this has made me stronger. I know what I'm up against now and am ready to take whatever challenge comes at me.

I really appreciate your response. It means a lot to me right now. What department are you in at Iowa? I forgot if I mentioned it, but I was in Health Services on the management track. UCLA also has Community Health Sciences which is also cool. I would do that also if given the opportunity. However, the international component is what I am seeking the most. I want to be able to become marketable internationally. What kind of internships does Iowa or any other school that you know of offer? UCLA makes you do an internship during your first summer... no way around it. It's actually pretty cool.

Thanks again in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sal

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi Sal,

Well, it's good to have you here! It sounds like you went through a lot to figure out things, but it's good that you have it sorted out now. That being said, you should be prepared to explain why you dropped out the first time. Schools will definately want a good explaination for your behavior, because it might be seen as taking a risk again.

As for what schools to apply to - that is going to be tough. Most deadlines have already passed, but there are a few that are still accepting applications. I wouldn't apply to USC if I were you - their program is mostly a community health based approach, and doesn't do much to address international concerns (to my knowledge). The program there is very limited since it runs out of their medical school and is not a full school of public health, so it might not be your best bet.

I think the University of Michigan and University of Iowa are still accepting applications, but I'm not sure. Someone on here said awhile back Michigan's deadline is 4/1 and Iowa's (for my department anyways) is 6/1. Both are decently ranked public health schools all-around, and I think both have international health and epidemiology departments. I'm not sure about other schools to be honest - most of the ones I applied to have had their deadlines pass already.

I think you should address your decision in your personal statement, and explain well and clearly why you decided to come back to public health. If you have any other questions, please respond back! I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish me luck!!!! I just received an email from the Health Services Department public relations officer...... she says that I have to re-apply online for FALL 2005!! The dealine has passed so I hope it is not a typo on her part.... But she also wrote that I don't have to get letters of rec, nor send transcripts again.. maybe there is something to this.. all I have to do is write a personal statement explaining why I left and why I want to come back.... this should not be too hard... I think honesty will guide me in the right direction........ If there are any other suggestions, hints, advice.... please, keep them coming..... Thanks for your all of your moral support.......

Sal

SALADITO said:
Hi A.D......

Thanks so much for your response. I will definitely look into those schools. I am still awaiting from a response from the Director of Academic Progress at UCLA. What I'm hoping for the most is to get back into the program that I was in. I can almost bet that it goes against policy guidelines, however, if they have a heart, they can bend those rules..... I'm only hoping.

As far as ranking goes, I know that UCLA is up there. I'm not sure what number, nor am I too interested in exactly what the numbers are. I am only interested that the school has a good reputation and that it has a good networking capability. UCLA was the bomb diggity for networking. I keep kicking myself in the butt for dropping out. I dropped out rather quickly.. in the second week of my very first quarter. I wanted to just get out before I messed up...... But this has given me a chance to "see what I've lost", and really, I think this has made me stronger. I know what I'm up against now and am ready to take whatever challenge comes at me.

I really appreciate your response. It means a lot to me right now. What department are you in at Iowa? I forgot if I mentioned it, but I was in Health Services on the management track. UCLA also has Community Health Sciences which is also cool. I would do that also if given the opportunity. However, the international component is what I am seeking the most. I want to be able to become marketable internationally. What kind of internships does Iowa or any other school that you know of offer? UCLA makes you do an internship during your first summer... no way around it. It's actually pretty cool.

Thanks again in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sal

Hihi!

Well, I'm not actually attending Iowa yet - I was accepted there (among several other places) for this coming fall. I applied to Health Management and Policy, like you, and I like what I have seen so far. About 90% of the students go on to internships and/or fellowships at hospitals or other healthcare organizations after graduation at Iowa, where they pay you, but more importantly continue to train you on the job.

I hope things go well for you at UCLA - if you need anything else, lemme know! =)

AspiringDR........

I wish you all the best also.... I do happen to have a question for you.... For doing international work..... would something like "community health sciences" be a little more flexible than Health Services/Management Policy? Is there a big difference in the types of jobs one could get between the two degrees? Thanks in advance!!!!!

You're sooo the man/woman/dr... hahaha

take care!!!!!

Sal

Hi Saladito,
I think its really good that you have figured out what your dreams. To be successful at the graduate school level you need to be passionate about what you want to do and why you want to do it. We all sometimes make mistakes but like you said you learned a lot from it. So just take it in a positive way. As far as the schools. I think apart from the two mentioned by Doc Boston University still is getting apps, you might want to check out Loma Linda, University of Rochester, and I think Amherst might still accept apps. Good luck with everything.

Homer,

Thanks so much for advice on schools, and, more importantly, the MORAL SUPPORT!!!!! Really, it means a lot to me. :)

Good luck with your endeavors as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugz...

Sal

Homer101 said:
Hi Saladito,
I think its really good that you have figured out what your dreams. To be successful at the graduate school level you need to be passionate about what you want to do and why you want to do it. We all sometimes make mistakes but like you said you learned a lot from it. So just take it in a positive way. As far as the schools. I think apart from the two mentioned by Doc Boston University still is getting apps, you might want to check out Loma Linda, University of Rochester, and I think Amherst might still accept apps. Good luck with everything.

SALADITO said:
AspiringDR........

I wish you all the best also.... I do happen to have a question for you.... For doing international work..... would something like "community health sciences" be a little more flexible than Health Services/Management Policy? Is there a big difference in the types of jobs one could get between the two degrees? Thanks in advance!!!!!

You're sooo the man/woman/dr... hahaha

take care!!!!!

Sal

Hihi Sal,

Well, from what I understand - Health Management and Policy usually prepares you to work in hospital administration, insurance companies, consulting firms and the like (if you're in management), and governmental jobs as well as other non-profits for policy. Some schools actually have international health concentrations or departments - you might want to look at them. I know University of Michigan has an international health concentration within the health management and policy department, so you might want to look at that. I'm not sure what other schools do, but I'd look into which schools have that - it might be your best bet.

Hey Aspiring....
My recent "soul searching" has led me to the conclusion that I'm not really the managing type.... I'd like to work more in community oriented centers helping promote health..... stuff like that.... That's why I was asking about Community Health Sciences...I believe managing makes a lot more money, but I'm not out to get rich... rather be comfortable and happy and satisfied with what I do than do something I'm not so happy about and earn a bigger check.... Any ideas on programs like that??? I will do my own looking in the meanwhile as well...

Again........ THANKSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Sal

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi Sal,

Well, from what I understand - Health Management and Policy usually prepares you to work in hospital administration, insurance companies, consulting firms and the like (if you're in management), and governmental jobs as well as other non-profits for policy. Some schools actually have international health concentrations or departments - you might want to look at them. I know University of Michigan has an international health concentration within the health management and policy department, so you might want to look at that. I'm not sure what other schools do, but I'd look into which schools have that - it might be your best bet.