Need Advice On My Situation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dolly96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in desperate need of advice and would like to hear any input on my current situation.

I graduated in 2015 and applied late after taking my MCAT in August. The only reason I applied after getting my (quite low) MCAT score was because I had met with an admissions faculty at a local DO school and was told my stats were fine and that I would likely be accepted based on my upward trend, strong ECs, and letters. So I thought, what the heck let's just give it a try. Well, that was a huge mistake. Applying to only 2 DO schools was also another huge mistake.

Here's a little bit about me and my application:
gpa: 3.31 science gpa: 3.11 (AMCAS) 3.13 (AACOMAS)
Trend: Freshman: 3.33 Sophomore: 2.88 Junior: 3.06 and Senior: 3.58 with a 4.0 for the last year.
I think I over-estimated the whole upward trend into consideration thing...​
MCAT: 498 (125 124 123 126)

After expressing my concern for my low Bio section score I was told that since the admissions at the particular DO school (my number 1 choice) looks at the confidence band and not the single score that it wasn't THAT bad of a score and that I should apply right away as it was getting later in the cycle.

My horrible gpa is due to poor grades (many C's) in pre-requisites. I started out really bad in my science classes in college because I was working about 30 hours a week and was struggling with balancing everything. Freshman gpa wasn't too bad because I wasn't taking any science courses yet. I decided to do my DIY post-bacc instead of getting more loans for an official one since I was eligible for more grants. I ended up taking 2 upper-division science courses per quarter and earning a 4.0 for the year.

Involvements and Extracurriculars:

Work 6500 hours
Member of a couple of student clubs and various leadership positions 800 hours
Clinical internship at a hospital 325 hours
Volunteering at local hospital 70 hours
Volunteering with organization serving food for local low-income families 100 hours
Pre-Health Student Fair Assistant Director 300 hours
Pre-Medical Summer program 75 hours
Tutoring undergraduate students 125 hours
Shadowing in ER, Physical Med & Rehab, Surgery, and Internal Med physicians 140 hours
Multiple Awards

My letter writers wrote amazing letters... so I've been told. I haven't read them obviously, but was told that they were more powerful than any letter they've ever read.

I am not URM, but am considered disadvantaged because of my family's income and the financial hardships I've had to overcome throughout college.

I am retaking the MCAT this May and confidently believe I will score higher as I was scoring higher on practice exams previously than what my actual score is.

Now the question, where do I go from here?

Should I apply to SMPs? Post-baccs? Will Post-bacc help even though I have already done a DYI one on my own?
Should I reapply this June? This cycle at all?

If I were to retake some pre-reqs over the summer (two sessions from June-September) I will be able to take about 2-3 science classes per session totaling to about 4-6 science classes retaken. However, schools will not be able to see these new grades (and DO schools won't consider grade replacement?) if I apply early and state in my application that these classes are in progress.

I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in desperate need of advice and would like to hear any input on my current situation.

I graduated in 2015 and applied late after taking my MCAT in August. The only reason I applied after getting my (quite low) MCAT score was because I had met with an admissions faculty at a local DO school and was told my stats were fine and that I would likely be accepted based on my upward trend, strong ECs, and letters. So I thought, what the heck let's just give it a try. Well, that was a huge mistake. Applying to only 2 DO schools was also another huge mistake.

Trend: Freshman: 3.33 Sophomore: 2.88 Junior: 3.06 and Senior: 3.58 with a 4.0 for the last year.

After expressing my concern for my low Bio section score I was told that since the admissions at the particular DO school (my number 1 choice) looks at the confidence band and not the single score that it wasn't THAT bad of a score and that I should apply right away as it was getting later in the cycle.

My horrible gpa is due to poor grades (many C's) in pre-requisites. I started out really bad in my science classes in college because I was working about 30 hours a week and was struggling with balancing everything. Freshman gpa wasn't too bad because I wasn't taking any science courses yet. I decided to do my DIY post-bacc instead of getting more loans for an official one since I was eligible for more grants. I ended up taking 2 upper-division science courses per quarter and earning a 4.0 for the year.

Work 6500 hours
Volunteering with organization serving food for local low-income families 100 hours
Shadowing in ER, Physical Med & Rehab, Surgery, and Internal Med physicians 140 hours
Multiple Awards

My letter writers wrote amazing letters... so I've been told. I haven't read them obviously, but was told that they were more powerful than any letter they've ever read.

I am not URM, but am considered disadvantaged because of my family's income and the financial hardships I've had to overcome throughout college.

I am retaking the MCAT this May and confidently believe I will score higher as I was scoring higher on practice exams previously than what my actual score is.

Should I apply to SMPs? Post-baccs? Will Post-bacc help even though I have already done a DYI one on my own?

If I were to retake some pre-reqs over the summer (two sessions from June-September) I will be able to take about 2-3 science classes per session totaling to about 4-6 science classes retaken. However, schools will not be able to see these new grades (and DO schools won't consider grade replacement?) if I apply early and state in my application that these classes are in progress.

I appreciate any advice.

You need to do alot of work here. You need to do some grade rehab for DO applications. Retaking those classes that you made Cs or lower in to replace your grades will help alot. I wouldn't take the MCAT in May as you have a long way to go for your classes and your MCAT could expire in that timeframe. As well, if you do poorly, this will be another data point that goes against you. Applying to med school is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to take the time to make your application as good as possible for the next time you apply. I don't think next year is going to be it, so don't apply just to see what happens. It makes it harder and harder for you to get in, the more you apply.

Reactions: 1 users
1) You need to make up that GPA. If you just want to be a doctor, the fastest and cheapest way would be to retake every pre-req/most classes you got a C or below on in a DIY postbacc and apply DO...
2) You need to have a higher MCAT if your GPA is below the average. Your score is around a 24, and I can't think of many schools were 24 is the average and not the anomaly.

I know your ECs look great, and your LoRs are as well but you I'd say GPA/MCAT is more than half the application sadly.. with any school there are thousands of applicants competing for hundreds of seats- they have to have a metric to screen/pick people and those are the standards they picked.

I've seen you around some threads I'm in and you always seem really optimistic and encouraging (you even helped me in one of them! I was rooting hard for you). My advice maybe won't be as straightforward on what classes to focus on etc, but more on this whole process in general but do try to maintain that optimism!

I would NOT apply this June, and would spend some time retaking those classes and apply 2017. It gets harder as a re-applicant, since you'll be asked what you've done to improve your application since the last time you applied- have a much improved app the next time you do it, grades IP would be selling yourself short. I'm not sure if you were born in 96; if you were, you're only what, 20? You have SO much of a headstart! I'm 4 years older than you and just applied the first time as well! Don't treat this as a race, it's a slow process (I was in your shoes a few years ago and very discouraged then). Take the time, fix those grades be consistent with it (2 year trend vs 3 years of below average could use 1 more year I feel...), and don't feel pressured that you're not doing it fast enough (though that's hard I know).

For your classes; try to treat every subject as the most fascinating one you're learning (or relearning) about and it'll make studying for them a lot easier. Take a lot of study breaks (3 hours a day of active studying has way more positive results than 7 hours of visual osmosis in my own experiences). For the MCAT, a good way I felt to avoid having your nerves take over, is to remember that it is a standardized test- if you know the basics and don't overthink the questions more often than not your first guess would be the right answer, the majority of the test is not trying to trick you... expect a few points knocked off your practice score but keep in mind it is often within 2-3 points of what you'd actually score (on the real practice tests). Retaking classes will help you improve your MCAT score since you'll go over those subjects again... I'd recommend studying for your classes and the similar passages in the MCAT practice books at the same time so you can be more prepared in both! But I wouldn't retake the MCAT until your practice scores are within 2-3 points of where you want to be- if that's May I'd go for it, but I would postpone it since you should probably apply 2017..

Try to stay positive! I know it sucks now, but I'm a firm believer that if you are really motivated for the right reasons and have a true passion for medicine, one way or another you will get there. I would call the schools (including the master programs) and see if you could get any of the admission counselors to give you hints about what specifically needed improvement in your application though I'm pretty sure it's GPA/MCAT. Just don't give up! Plenty of time! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you should do for the next year really depends on how urgent it is that you get into med school. Do you have personal reasons for wanting to be in the entering class of 2017? If you're absolutely confident that the low MCAT was the only thing holding you back from a successful cycle, then re-take it (score superbly) and apply again immediately. On the other hand, if it's not dire for you to start med school asap, I'd consider waiting another year. IMO, the only way to enter an app cycle with confidence is to have failed once, identify all the weaknesses in your app, fully address and remediate those issues, then come out as a stronger applicant than before.

Personally, I don't think that re-taking past classes would prove as much since you've already performed well in the DIY-post-bacc upper level courses. Just to be sure, are your classes matched or greater in level of difficulty than the ones you've failed? As for SMP's, these are huge investments but the payoff can be great, nearly guaranteed admittance if you do it right. So you might want to apply to a few as back-up plans. Otherwise, your back-up plan can be to work and/or continue the DIY post-bacc. Maintain an activity that connects you to the medical field (ie. volunteering, shadowing) so that your goal stays relevant. And also just to reiterate some of the changes you've pointed out for next time-- apply broadly and earlier, and hold onto those strong letters of rec.

Lastly, I wouldn't rely heavily on whatever admissions people say. They might appeal to your application in person, but selection is highly competitive and you never know whose application might outshine yours when compared side by side. Enter the app cycle with all your ducks in a row but be prepared to face rejection, even from your #1 choice. I'd also take this time to figure out what alternative careers you've ever considered. Don't worry, I'm not telling you to give up! But in a future interview, you might be asked about this and it's important to stress why, despite all past failures and obstacles, you've still chosen to pursue a career in medicine. Just something to chew on. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
What you should do for the next year really depends on how urgent it is that you get into med school. Do you have personal reasons for wanting to be in the entering class of 2017? If you're absolutely confident that the low MCAT was the only thing holding you back from a successful cycle, then re-take it (score superbly) and apply again immediately. On the other hand, if it's not dire for you to start med school asap, I'd consider waiting another year. IMO, the only way to enter an app cycle with confidence is to have failed once, identify all the weaknesses in your app, fully address and remediate those issues, then come out as a stronger applicant than before.

Personally, I don't think that re-taking past classes would prove as much since you've already performed well in the DIY-post-bacc upper level courses. Just to be sure, are your classes matched or greater in level of difficulty than the ones you've failed? As for SMP's, these are huge investments but the payoff can be great, nearly guaranteed admittance if you do it right. So you might want to apply to a few as back-up plans. Otherwise, your back-up plan can be to work and/or continue the DIY post-bacc. Maintain an activity that connects you to the medical field (ie. volunteering, shadowing) so that your goal stays relevant. And also just to reiterate some of the changes you've pointed out for next time-- apply broadly and earlier, and hold onto those strong letters of rec.

Lastly, I wouldn't rely heavily on whatever admissions people say. They might appeal to your application in person, but selection is highly competitive and you never know whose application yours might outshine yours when compared side by side. Enter the app cycle with all your ducks in a row but be prepared to face rejection, even from your #1 choice. I'd also take this time to figure out what alternative careers you've ever considered. Don't worry, I'm not telling you to give up! But in a future interview, you might be asked about this and it's important to stress why, despite all past failures and obstacles, you've still chosen to pursue a career in medicine. Just something to chew on. Good luck!

Applying to medical school is never urgent. It's not like a couple of years or so to buff up an application means their life is over. And retaking poor classes to get better grades is a big help as it allows your DO application GPA to be significantly higher.

Applying to medical school is never urgent. It's not like a couple of years or so to buff up an application means their life is over. And retaking poor classes to get better grades is a big help as it allows your DO application GPA to be significantly higher.
True, it shouldn't be. Obviously, the entire process takes over a year but maybe there are other unmentioned factors that push OP to reapply sooner rather than later. For example, I know a gal who wanted to be in the same location as her SO and risked an immediate re-application.

OP, I think the point is that an extra year really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. As for selecting which classes to re-take, it seems there are pros to proving yourself in both past failed courses and new upper division courses. Your cGPA and sGPA are on the lower end, which is why you should certainly consider retaking something like gen chem. But I stress the latter especially if the courses are closer to something you'd take in med school because it gives you lots of good material to talk about in your next application -- what specific "medical" things you enjoyed learning, and possibly how it led to further intellectual pursuits and refined your goals as a doctor. This is essentially what you'd do through an SMP. So I think both sides have merits.

1) You need to make up that GPA. If you just want to be a doctor, the fastest and cheapest way would be to retake every pre-req/most classes you got a C or below on in a DIY postbacc and apply DO...
2) You need to have a higher MCAT if your GPA is below the average. Your score is around a 24, and I can't think of many schools were 24 is the average and not the anomaly.

I know your ECs look great, and your LoRs are as well but you I'd say GPA/MCAT is more than half the application sadly.. with any school there are thousands of applicants competing for hundreds of seats- they have to have a metric to screen/pick people and those are the standards they picked.

I've seen you around some threads I'm in and you always seem really optimistic and encouraging (you even helped me in one of them! I was rooting hard for you). My advice maybe won't be as straightforward on what classes to focus on etc, but more on this whole process in general but do try to maintain that optimism!

I would NOT apply this June, and would spend some time retaking those classes and apply 2017. It gets harder as a re-applicant, since you'll be asked what you've done to improve your application since the last time you applied- have a much improved app the next time you do it, grades IP would be selling yourself short. I'm not sure if you were born in 96; if you were, you're only what, 20? You have SO much of a headstart! I'm 4 years older than you and just applied the first time as well! Don't treat this as a race, it's a slow process (I was in your shoes a few years ago and very discouraged then). Take the time, fix those grades be consistent with it (2 year trend vs 3 years of below average could use 1 more year I feel...), and don't feel pressured that you're not doing it fast enough (though that's hard I know).

For your classes; try to treat every subject as the most fascinating one you're learning (or relearning) about and it'll make studying for them a lot easier. Take a lot of study breaks (3 hours a day of active studying has way more positive results than 7 hours of visual osmosis in my own experiences). For the MCAT, a good way I felt to avoid having your nerves take over, is to remember that it is a standardized test- if you know the basics and don't overthink the questions more often than not your first guess would be the right answer, the majority of the test is not trying to trick you... expect a few points knocked off your practice score but keep in mind it is often within 2-3 points of what you'd actually score (on the real practice tests). Retaking classes will help you improve your MCAT score since you'll go over those subjects again... I'd recommend studying for your classes and the similar passages in the MCAT practice books at the same time so you can be more prepared in both! But I wouldn't retake the MCAT until your practice scores are within 2-3 points of where you want to be- if that's May I'd go for it, but I would postpone it since you should probably apply 2017..

Try to stay positive! I know it sucks now, but I'm a firm believer that if you are really motivated for the right reasons and have a true passion for medicine, one way or another you will get there. I would call the schools (including the master programs) and see if you could get any of the admission counselors to give you hints about what specifically needed improvement in your application though I'm pretty sure it's GPA/MCAT. Just don't give up! Plenty of time! :)
Thank you for your input and encouragement :) I wish I was born in 96.. I wouldn't be so anxious to get it going as soon as possible if I were only 20. I'm still preparing for a May MCAT because I would like to retake courses and/or get into a post-bacc program even though I've sort of already done one on my own. However, if I am not scoring above 505 consistently I will, without a doubt, post-pone it. I feel the grade replacement for DO is a better (and cheaper) way of getting me out of this grave. I have no doubt that I will get A's in any course I retake, especially any per-requisites, since I've mastered my studying strategy for classes.

I will still call/email schools for any feedback just so I get some kind of input from admissions from this cycle.

Lastly, I wouldn't rely heavily on whatever admissions people say. They might appeal to your application in person, but selection is highly competitive and you never know whose application might outshine yours when compared side by side. Enter the app cycle with all your ducks in a row but be prepared to face rejection, even from your #1 choice. I'd also take this time to figure out what alternative careers you've ever considered. Don't worry, I'm not telling you to give up! But in a future interview, you might be asked about this and it's important to stress why, despite all past failures and obstacles, you've still chosen to pursue a career in medicine. Just something to chew on. Good luck!

I am not absolutely certain that is was only my MCAT, but I am sure it did play a major role in my rejections as it is paired with my low GPA. I know admissions don't like both stats being low so I need to improve one significantly. I was thinking about just retaking the MCAT and once i get my improved score I would apply as early as possible when cycle begins. However, I know that is not the smartest idea as others have also mentioned that I could possibly be digging myself deeper into the grave. My other option would be to just retake courses in summer (about 2-3 pre-reqs) and just apply to DO schools once I get my grades at the end of August. But of course I'm mostly leaning to not rushing it and just taking pre-reqs over all year long instead of stating IP on the app and apply starting 2017 cycle. It's a tough decision.

The courses I took during my DIY post-bacc were upper division courses as opposed to the lower division pre-reqa so I believe they are more challenging courses. I have 2 C's in upper-division which are in ecological studies and comparative genetics that I won't be able to retake at a CC. The other C's are in the general biology and physics pre-reqs which I wouldn't have a problem retaking at a CC.

You are right about not taking what admissions faculty say to me in person too literally. Thank you for your input.

Thank you for your input and encouragement :) I wish I was born in 96.. I wouldn't be so anxious to get it going as soon as possible if I were only 20. I'm still preparing for a May MCAT because I would like to retake courses and/or get into a post-bacc program even though I've sort of already done one on my own. However, if I am not scoring above 505 consistently I will, without a doubt, post-pone it. I feel the grade replacement for DO is a better (and cheaper) way of getting me out of this grave. I have no doubt that I will get A's in any course I retake, especially any per-requisites, since I've mastered my studying strategy for classes.

I will still call/email schools for any feedback just so I get some kind of input from admissions from this cycle.

With your GPA as is, you need to try and score at least 508 and ideally a 510+ on the practice exams. Many people say that the practice exams end up being easier than the real test. A 505 wouldn't cut it. I know you want to get in sooner rather than later, but making your next application your absolute best will be worth it even if it takes a year or two to get everything together. Don't rush to take the MCAT in May as your grades won't be fixed yet and your application won't be as good for next year's cycle. Then you lose a year on your MCAT eligibility for no good reason.

I am not absolutely certain that is was only my MCAT, but I am sure it did play a major role in my rejections as it is paired with my low GPA. I know admissions don't like both stats being low so I need to improve one significantly. I was thinking about just retaking the MCAT and once i get my improved score I would apply as early as possible when cycle begins. However, I know that is not the smartest idea as others have also mentioned that I could possibly be digging myself deeper into the grave. My other option would be to just retake courses in summer (about 2-3 pre-reqs) and just apply to DO schools once I get my grades at the end of August. But of course I'm mostly leaning to not rushing it and just taking pre-reqs over all year long instead of stating IP on the app and apply starting 2017 cycle. It's a tough decision.

The courses I took during my DIY post-bacc were upper division courses as opposed to the lower division pre-reqa so I believe they are more challenging courses. I have 2 C's in upper-division which are in ecological studies and comparative genetics that I won't be able to retake at a CC. The other C's are in the general biology and physics pre-reqs which I wouldn't have a problem retaking at a CC.

You are right about not taking what admissions faculty say to me in person too literally. Thank you for your input.

You can retake those upper level classes at the University, though. I don't think that trying to rush it all in for next cycle will be a good plan either. You need to make As on those classes. You don't want to shove 2-3 classes that you are repeating into a condensed summer session. As well, you want your application to be ready to go on day one, not at the end of August or beginning of September. This is going to delay you another year AND make you a reapplicant to more schools which will make your quest even harder.

Work 6500 hours
Multiple Awards

I appreciate any advice.

Impressive ECs and letters! Way to go! And yes, you've definitely showed that you are capable of a 4.0 in COLLEGE even though you started off with poor grades. I'm not 100% sure how the application cycle works but from what medical students/advisors have told me, retaking prerequisites are not counted towards your GPA by certain medical schools as you have to take it before you complete your Bachelors (unless you do it in your DIY postbac but I would assume that a postbac, for improving GPA purposes, is for you to take challenging science classes to show medical school that you are capable of handling hard science classes even if you didn't do well in your prereqs). Also, it seems harder to explain during interviews why you had to retake the same course you once took if you didn't completely fail it. So I'm not sure, maybe you should call school advisors and get their opinions on retaking courses before doing so. Also, it is VERY hard to improve your GPA, like mentioned above, it takes a lot of years as you know its super hard to get your GPA up. I tried taking a couple of science courses during the summer to improve my GPA and it went up by 0.01 LOL.

The advise I have received is that if your GPA is "lowish" then your MCAT score should be terrific. And develop your PS very well! Also a person with a "low" GPA and an upward trend has a lot of maturity they can show interviews compared to someone who took 1 hard class every semester and was able to spend time acing it (medical school is not like this! you have a crazy work load you need to handle, so part of what interviews look for is that you are able to handle stress, a rigorous workload and still perform). I think it's good that you are retaking your MCAT, especially if you have been scoring 505, but yes the higher the better, and focus on your personal statement too. I know someone who graduated with a 3.8, 40 MCAT score, applied to only california schools and still did not get in (he got interviews in a couple of schools but did not hear back from the). Granted he limited himself with the amount of schools he applied to, but his stats were so high, I was surprised that he didn't get in. I think if you apply to MD and DO schools without being choosy, you should be fine. I'll be applying this cycle too! Best of luck if you do decide to apply :)