1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Need advice on new laptop...

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Brandie28, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Brandie28

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi everyone! I am looking into buying a new laptop and need some opinions and I thought this thread would be a good place to ask! I am just looking for something for school really..any input?? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Acid11

Acid11 I speak Chinglish
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Are you applying to pharmacy school? They may have requirements when you actually take pharmacy classes. I know at my school, they have recommendations on which models to get.

4. Brandie28

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Yes...Nova...but they only have very basic requirements from what I found..such as service and an anti virus program...

5. wolfpackhal

wolfpackhal UNC PharmD class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Wait until you know where you are going because some provide you with one or have specific requirements.

6. DrOwnageMD

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'd check out Asus. They do some great stuff.

As for your supplier, I suggest newegg.com.

7. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I had dell M1330. It is $1200, good deal for gaming.

8. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    My next laptop is going to be an Apple MacBook. It's an amazing machine! I got a Dell right now, and it's literally crapped...I've used it to the bone. I've had it for almost 3 yrs now. However, I don't like to spend that much money on a computer. My biggest requirement is it has to be under $1000

9. WhiteSnows

Pharmacist
    APple is hard to use. Unless you are a graphic design, I would not but apple.

10. DrOwnageMD

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Don't get a mac unless you're dual-booting. If you're going to get a mac you might as well get linux. You get the same unwarranted elitest feeling and it's free!

11. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

If you are going to get a laptop, don't get a heavy one. Usually a laptop for gaming will weigh heavy. You will be carrying around a lot and trust me, you don't want to carry a heavy bag around campus. It hurts your back! And besides, do you even have time to play games in pharmacy school?

12. WhiteSnows

Pharmacist
    :laugh:
    NO no, my laptop is super light. It is 13 30, very good for education and gaming. I can bring it up with 2 fingers

13. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

wow, strong fingers:laugh:

14. PharmD321

PharmD321 SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have a dell 1520 with graphics card and all that crap for gaming and I don't even play games anymore on my computer....so you are totally right about the weight issue. This laptop is as heavy as a 45 pound dumbbell (but the computer is still very fast and reliable). It feels horrible to take it on the lightrail, especially during rush hour, when I had to stand for 40 minutes until I got to the station by my house...

To answer the thread's question, if you want something light and only for emails, internet, and word, then get the minis like dell mini 9 or 12!

15. pharmaspire

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    The Dell M1330 is on the light side, you can carry that around. I have a dell 9200, Now thats heavy. I've been using it for four years, and I think I would be retiring it somewhere in August. Apple is aesthetically nice but a bit expensive in my opinion. Somebody suggested checking out Newegg. Good site. But also check out Buy.com, they have some pretty good deals on laptops.

16. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a gateway M285-E series tablet PC. It was pretty good for its times but is a little bit outdated now. However, it more than meets the requirements for LECOM's laptop.

Eh, you can play a few games on it but it probably can't handle the next generation games that will be coming out in a year or so requiring really a dedicated graphics card.

17. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Not at all. My family has one at home & I know that thing inside and out. It's a quality computer. Should last 5+ years at top speed & condition. However, if you're an avid computer user, PC might be the way to go...just because of the modification options available. I just want an Apple because it's a quality computer - not for elitist reasons ;). By the way, you can get an Apple 13.3" Macbook/2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/1 gb ram/120 gb superdrive for around $850 (or so I've seen that price before for it). Best place for Apple deals is www.macmall.com. it's not ridiculously expensive though...

18. Transcend

Transcend Hopeful Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I second the recommendations for Buy.com and NewEgg.com, good prices. Amazon.com is great as well.

As for Apple vs. PC, if you're already comfortable with PCs then it's probably a better idea to go with a PC laptop. I had a MacBook and didn't really like it, switched to an HP and loved it. I guess I'm more of a PC person. :oops:

19. IrishRxMan

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I would have to disagree. I have a mac and its not difficult to use, just different from a PC. If you get a mac, they understand that you won't know all about them, so they offer free classes at the apple store on how to use them. Microsoft office has a version for the mac and I've never had a problem with compatibility with anything from my professors or fellow students.

The operating system is built on a very stable platform that requires less RAM and doesn't eat up as much hard drive space, which is why you will see less offered in the mac than a PC. Plus, if you have some question or issue that you don't have time to go to the apple store to have figured out, there are discussion pages on apple's website where the problem you are having is answered or can be answered if it's a new problem. Apple people like to take care of our own :).

I would suggest going to an apple store and talking with a sales rep. I wouldn't recommend going to a Best Buy or other authorized reseller because they won't give you the best advice or knowledge base for a mac. Then go look at other PC's and decide for yourself which one is right for you.

20. WhiteSnows

Pharmacist

You are a fan of apple. Thanks for information.

21. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Plenty of time to play video games in pharmacy school, just gotta figure out what to sacrifice.

I could have sacrificed video games, but I decided that I rather play video games than go to the gym, lol.

22. pharmaspire

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Lol.....I dont know how much time students attending three year programs have to do "other" stuff, but I tell you some habits are hard to give up. I know I have to keep up with basketball and football (soccer for the Americans). We'll see when we get there.

About the Apple and Mac comparisons,get an apple if you can afford it, but I'd go with a PC. Apart from being cheaper, a lot more programs are available for the PC than the MAC. Will you need every program under the sun, no. But such availability implies better and readily available support. On a final note check with the school to make sure whatever programs you'll need will be compatible with Apple.

23. YiYaoYue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    or you can just dual boot an apple computer so you have both. I like the interface of OS X for basics like internet, word, etc. But obviously like windows for other things do to compatilbility.

24. IrishRxMan

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I personally don't know why you would want to run both operating systems on a mac. I also don't know what compatibility problems you might be having unless it's a game. All of the office programs you would use in pharmacy school are made for mac.

25. YiYaoYue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    It is just comforting to know that you have windows (something you are very familiar with) available when you need it. While for pharmacy school exclusively doesn't require windows, there are plenty of things that I do on my free time that may or may not work on Mac

#24 YiYaoYue, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  26. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed!
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    NO, eveything is not compatible on the Mac, so dual-booting is a very good idea. I have an iMac and I dual boot with Parallel software and it works great. I love the interface on the Mac and the fact that Mac's don't catch viruses as easy as PC's is a hugh plus. I started working on a Mac when I started working at the university and now I'm a huge Mac fan LOL