need advice on next steps with <3.0 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which should i do?

• smp

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • trad masters

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • idk

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

naoise151

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
stats: 2.9gpa and BCPM is 2.74
havent taken MCAT yet
decent ECs and shadowing as well. good leadership positions. 1 year research is public health lab

Anyways, i have gotten into a traditional masters and a SMP program and i'm confused on what would be my best course of action? the tradiitional masters is in a new city with lots of opportunity offered through a great MD school ( so i'd get lots of connections). SMP is in home state but im scared to be completely honest. How do i know if i'm ready and have the skills and habits to succeed without burning out or negatively impacting my mental health. i was kind of leaning to the traditional masters because its spaced out over 2 years, gives you time to work or pursue other opportunities and it's in a new city where i know i can grow as a person and not be stifled living at home (which is way better for my mental health lol). In undergrad i didn't really grow as much as i'd like so i guess im also a bit afraid if i join a SMP with all the studying i'll be locked away in my room and not make sure to get out and do things like make friends, go to the gym, take walks or whatever to basically make sure i don't spend my time locked away.

I'm also confused because i know i have a great opportunity with the smp (and its a great program with lots of tools to make you succeed). mentally i am ready if i choose this path. Anyways, i guess i'm trying to ask if others have been in this position what would you suggst?

1. would a traditional masters actually help or in any way benefit my applicaiton for DO schools? (i would also take some classes on the side to get my undergrad gpa above 3.0)

2. or is the smp my best shot and i should not lose it when i have this opportunity? if you've done an smp at a DO school is it worth it? or is it only worth it from select schools? or should i only do SMP if its one of the well known MD ones (georgetown, case,etc)?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

I say go with the SMP, as far as I know they prepare you better (you're taking med school style classes) and people are often at the top of their class coming out of SMPs.

I would probably vote the SMP as well, also know a Post-Bacc is an option. You have the ability to bring that GPA up and reinvent yourself. Just stay motivated, figure out what worked and didn't work about your undergrad, and keep your head up.

Also read this:

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably vote the SMP as well, also know a Post-Bacc is an option. You have the ability to bring that GPA up and reinvent yourself. Just stay motivated, figure out what worked and didn't work about your undergrad, and keep your head up.

Also read this:

Good luck!
if i do an smp, i would still have to take postbacc classes to raise my undergrad gpa aove 3 right?

I would seek treatment for any mental health or social problems you have before proceeding further.

SMP + Depression or Severe Anxiety = Titanic disaster

Reactions: 1 user
if i do an smp, i would still have to take postbacc classes to raise my undergrad gpa aove 3 right?
I should have clarified, anything after your undergrad is technically Post-Bacc but I should have said DIY Post Bacc, as in you take undergrad upper level courses to supplement your existing undergrad GPA. It is often much cheaper and done at a local university.

I would seek treatment for any mental health or social problems you have before proceeding further.

SMP + Depression or Severe Anxiety = Titanic disaster
yeah i've definitely gotten help and over the last year have been working on making certain habits and changes so that i can still be fine in stressful situations and i've definitely improved a lot. Just worried a bit about the stress of SMP becasue obviously i've never done anything to that extent before.

I should have clarified, anything after your undergrad is technically Post-Bacc but I should have said DIY Post Bacc, as in you take undergrad upper level courses to supplement your existing undergrad GPA. It is often much cheaper and done at a local university.
oh ok that makes sense. I thought an SMP would be considered graduate gpa and not effect undergrad gpa because you get a degree at the end.

oh ok that makes sense. I thought an SMP would be considered graduate gpa and not effect undergrad gpa because you get a degree at the end.
I could be wrong but if you do either of those your cGPA/sGPA is still essentially averaged from both terms of study, as in GPA would still be calculated by schools the same way for both but one would yield a degree.

I could be wrong but if you do either of those your cGPA/sGPA is still essentially averaged from both terms of study, as in GPA would still be calculated by schools the same way for both but one would yield a degree.

DO programs combine uGPA and grad GPA into Overall GPA.

MD programs do not do any sort of combining.

In both cases, they receive a stratified report (showing your GPA in each year of school).

Regardless, I don’t see any reason why OP should rush into any graduate program. The traditional masters isn’t really going to help OP prove he can handle rigerous coursework (i.e., be prepared for med school) and he is hesistant about starting an SMP. From the way he is talking about it, I’m worried that he’ll be chewed up and spit out in $50k extra debt.

None of the options you have listed are the move.

Get yourself into a linked SMP/Post-bacc with a med school, meet thier criteria and get an auto-interview/acceptance that way.

Warning - someone who got under a 3.0 and is yet to take the MCAT is years out from getting into med school. You need to learn the material and master it to do well on MCAT and SMP's/Post-bacc is your last chance to get a 3.8+ to show med schools you are capable of taking on the rigors it entails.

Good luck.

DO programs combine uGPA and grad GPA into Overall GPA.

MD programs do not do any sort of combining.

In both cases, they receive a stratified report (showing your GPA in each year of school).

Regardless, I don’t see any reason why OP should rush into any graduate program. The traditional masters isn’t really going to help OP prove he can handle rigerous coursework (i.e., be prepared for med school) and he is hesistant about starting an SMP. From the way he is talking about it, I’m worried that he’ll be chewed up and spit out in $50k extra debt.
Ok so I wasn’t elaborate enough for the sake of keeping it short but that’s what makes so worried about the smp is that it’s so much money and I know how hard it is. I guess in a way it’s some sort of cold feet type reaction and just worrying if it doesn’t go my way. On top of that I want to make sure that it’s worth it since I have a gpa less than 3. Like should I first focus on upping my gpa and getting some more ECs or should I go for the SMP

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I wasn’t elaborate enough for the sake of keeping it short but that’s what makes so worried about the smp is that it’s so much money and I know how hard it is. I guess in a way it’s some sort of cold feet type reaction and just worrying if it doesn’t go my way. On top of that I want to make sure that it’s worth it since I have a gpa less than 3. Like should I first focus on upping my gpa and getting some more ECs or should I go for the SMP
Yes, then maybe do a SMP as a backup.

Reactions: 1 users

I don’t know your exact situation - but only jump into an SMP once you're sure you'd do anything to get into medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
stats: 2.9gpa and BCPM is 2.74
havent taken MCAT yet
decent ECs and shadowing as well. good leadership positions. 1 year research is public health lab

Anyways, i have gotten into a traditional masters and a SMP program and i'm confused on what would be my best course of action? the tradiitional masters is in a new city with lots of opportunity offered through a great MD school ( so i'd get lots of connections). SMP is in home state but im scared to be completely honest. How do i know if i'm ready and have the skills and habits to succeed without burning out or negatively impacting my mental health. i was kind of leaning to the traditional masters because its spaced out over 2 years, gives you time to work or pursue other opportunities and it's in a new city where i know i can grow as a person and not be stifled living at home (which is way better for my mental health lol). In undergrad i didn't really grow as much as i'd like so i guess im also a bit afraid if i join a SMP with all the studying i'll be locked away in my room and not make sure to get out and do things like make friends, go to the gym, take walks or whatever to basically make sure i don't spend my time locked away.

I'm also confused because i know i have a great opportunity with the smp (and its a great program with lots of tools to make you succeed). mentally i am ready if i choose this path. Anyways, i guess i'm trying to ask if others have been in this position what would you suggst?

1. would a traditional masters actually help or in any way benefit my applicaiton for DO schools? (i would also take some classes on the side to get my undergrad gpa above 3.0)

2. or is the smp my best shot and i should not lose it when i have this opportunity? if you've done an smp at a DO school is it worth it? or is it only worth it from select schools? or should i only do SMP if its one of the well known MD ones (georgetown, case,etc)?

Thank you all!
How do i know if i'm ready and have the skills and habits to succeed without burning out or negatively impacting my mental health.

Then how will you handle medical school?

MD schools do not count research MS GPAs. DO schools do.

You should probably start with some DIY post-bac courses and see how well you handle that.

Last edited:
How do i know if i'm ready and have the skills and habits to succeed without burning out or negatively impacting my mental health.

Then how will handle medical school?

You should probably start with some DIY post-bac courses and see how well you handle that.

Best advice here OP!

Then how will handle medical school?

so how do DO schools look at MS? do they look at them favorably or will it not really affect your app?
I'll be taking postbac classes to raise my undergrad gpa.(currently taking some summer classes right now and doing well)

so how do DO schools look at MS? do they look at them favorably or will it not really affect your app?
I'll be taking postbac classes to raise my undergrad gpa.(currently taking some summer classes right now and doing well)
DO schools will count your GPA. At my school, we do look at the rigor of your courses.

DO schools will count your GPA. At my school, we do look at the rigor of your courses.
Ok thanks this is good to keep in mind. ii guess my question is more so how much weight they give research MS? like if i was able to get my undergrad gpa ta 3, did a research MS and did well, will my performance in my most recent credits during the MS be taken more into consideration than my undergrad performance? or will it only lightly affect your app?
sorry for the load of questions and thank you for your help!

Ok thanks this is good to keep in mind. ii guess my question is more so how much weight they give research MS? like if i was able to get my undergrad gpa ta 3, did a research MS and did well, will my performance in my most recent credits during the MS be taken more into consideration than my undergrad performance? or will it only lightly affect your app?
sorry for the load of questions and thank you for your help!
A stretch of Good grades that are more recent will be looked at favorably, but if they're in courses like "research", seminars in Neuroscience" or "DNA techniques", then that won't be very helpful.

A stretch of Good grades that are more recent will be looked at favorably, but if they're in courses like "research", seminars in Neuroscience" or "DNA techniques", then that won't be very helpful.
some of them are like that and others are like bioscience/biotech related ones. also for electives i have options of taking classes like histophysiology, neurobiology,etc

some of them are like that and others are like bioscience/biotech related ones. also for electives i have options of taking classes like histophysiology, neurobiology,etc
Strongly suggest taking classes that are most like those found in md school, like histophysiology, neurobiology,

@Goro if I go the the smp route and my undergrad gpa is less than 3 , will I be screened out for a lot of schools?

I'd kindly vote for another career path. In your shoes I'd consider the opportunity and emotional/social costs of YEARS of intensely focused work for a possible shot at medical school vs. exploring another career field in which the energy and compensation are not so pushed into the future and unknown. Good time for some soul searching and honest evaluation of your values and life goals

Pursue around 32 credits of upper division through a year at a local four year institution or CC. See if you can do well in that.

1) this is a cheaper option
2) it will raise your undergrad GPA
3) if you don’t do well, it won’t be AS detrimental as doing poorly in an SMP
4) SMPs are high risk-high reward and if you don’t do well, it’s game over
5) you need to show you can handle classes. If you can’t even do 32 credits of upper divisions then an SMP will not be the right decision

If you can do well (3.8+) then you’re on the right track.

Pursue around 32 credits of upper division through a year at a local four year institution or CC. See if you can do well in that.

1) this is a cheaper option
2) it will raise your undergrad GPA
3) if you don’t do well, it won’t be AS detrimental as doing poorly in an SMP
4) SMPs are high risk-high reward and if you don’t do well, it’s game over
5) you need to show you can handle classes. If you can’t even do 32 credits of upper divisions then an SMP will not be the right decision

If you can do well (3.8+) then you’re on the right track.
THIS post right here is your best course of action.

Nahh, OP's gotta go for it
Get into a MD/DO linkage program. Give it all ya got.
You need something BIG to happen to become a doctor at this point.

If you fail acceptance, there's always Pod.

Nahh, OP's gotta go for it
Get into a MD/DO linkage program. Give it all ya got.
You need something BIG to happen to become a doctor at this point.

If you fail acceptance, there's always Pod.

Those are so high risk tho. OP would be better pursuing a post bacc which is so much cheaper, finding good study skills and applying to DOs and MDs. If that fails and OP is SURE he can handle it, then go for an SMP.