1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on Pikeville admission PCSOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by WantPikevilleD, Jan 9, 2002.

1. WantPikevilleD

WantPikevilleD New Member

hey, I am currently a junior at Emory and really looking into osteopathic schools. I plan to apply after my senior year (anyone know what the deadline is?) I am interested in Pikeville, but not sure about my grades or chances of acceptance. I am from central KY. I only have a 3.1 gpa, finance economics major and plan to take more science classes during senior year...haven't taken the MCAT yet.

I have volunteered consistently in the ER for the past 3 years. I plan to shadow a DO family practice doctor this semester and summer. Anything else since I know med experience is important? Any other things specific to Pikeville admissions I should know about? Thanks a lot guys.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah...are you a resident of Kentucky or one of the appalachian states? :D Good luck if you aren't.

4. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Keys to acceptance at PCSOM
    1. From KY or surrounding Appalachian states
    2. volunteer and shadow with a DO
    3. 3.3 gpa 24 MCAT
    4. interested in Family Practice(or Primary Care) in undereserved areas

You seem to satisfy 1 and 2 and have planty of time to complete 3. Number 4 is up to you. You definitely have to convince the admission committee that you sincerely want to be a primary care doc in a rural area. Of course, you can't screw up your interview!

5. WantPikevilleD

WantPikevilleD New Member

6. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I see that now after looking back on your post. I really need to slow my butt down and actually read what people write! Sheesh! Well, I must say, then, that you have a distinct advantage. I also must say that I think you should apply to your state schools like UK and Louisville. You never know what can happen. A 3.1 "CAN" get you into a state school with a sloid, well-rounded application. Other than that, good luck!