Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need advice on Pikeville admission PCSOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by WantPikevilleD, Jan 9, 2002.

1. WantPikevilleD

WantPikevilleD New Member

hey, I am currently a junior at Emory and really looking into osteopathic schools. I plan to apply after my senior year (anyone know what the deadline is?) I am interested in Pikeville, but not sure about my grades or chances of acceptance. I am from central KY. I only have a 3.1 gpa, finance economics major and plan to take more science classes during senior year...haven't taken the MCAT yet.

I have volunteered consistently in the ER for the past 3 years. I plan to shadow a DO family practice doctor this semester and summer. Anything else since I know med experience is important? Any other things specific to Pikeville admissions I should know about? Thanks a lot guys.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah...are you a resident of Kentucky or one of the appalachian states? :D Good luck if you aren't.

4. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan

Attending Physician
    Keys to acceptance at PCSOM
    1. From KY or surrounding Appalachian states
    2. volunteer and shadow with a DO
    3. 3.3 gpa 24 MCAT
    4. interested in Family Practice(or Primary Care) in undereserved areas

You seem to satisfy 1 and 2 and have planty of time to complete 3. Number 4 is up to you. You definitely have to convince the admission committee that you sincerely want to be a primary care doc in a rural area. Of course, you can't screw up your interview!

5. WantPikevilleD

WantPikevilleD New Member

6. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I see that now after looking back on your post. I really need to slow my butt down and actually read what people write! Sheesh! Well, I must say, then, that you have a distinct advantage. I also must say that I think you should apply to your state schools like UK and Louisville. You never know what can happen. A 3.1 "CAN" get you into a state school with a sloid, well-rounded application. Other than that, good luck!