Need Advice on Possibly Retaking the DATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memkim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to dental schools this summer and have a 3.9 gpa and already took the DATs last summer and got a AA of 22.Bio 20, RC 20, Ochem 24, Gchem 21, QR 26, RC 20 and PAT 20. Quite honestly, however, I was very unmotivated last summer and only studyied maybe a week and a half before my test date. I didnt study RC or bio or the PAT sections at all because I thought they would be my strong points but it turns out not studying for those sections brought me down a bit. So I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to retake them this summer and study really hard to do much better (hopefully at least a 26?) for scholarship purposes. But I just want advice on if it would be worth it. Ive heard dental schools give scholarships to their top applicants, so is a 22 good enough or would I need something higher to potentially qualify? Thanks for all your help everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

aha i'll be so happy with those scores... :x but yeahh it's very risky to try to improve on those scores but if you are feeling absolutely confident you will destroy it, go for it... But I see you having no problem getting an acceptance with your stats!

I'm applying to dental schools this summer and have a 3.9 gpa and already took the DATs last summer and got a AA of 22.Bio 20, RC 20, Ochem 24, Gchem 21, QR 26, RC 20 and PAT 20. Quite honestly, however, I was very unmotivated last summer and only studyied maybe a week and a half before my test date. I didnt study RC or bio or the PAT sections at all because I thought they would be my strong points but it turns out not studying for those sections brought me down a bit. So I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to retake them this summer and study really hard to do much better (hopefully at least a 26?) for scholarship purposes. But I just want advice on if it would be worth it. Ive heard dental schools give scholarships to their top applicants, so is a 22 good enough or would I need something higher to potentially qualify? Thanks for all your help everyone.

why in the world would you retake? You're crazy bro...

Members don't see this ad :)

Really? Some people would kill for those kind of scores not literally lol. I can't tell if you are serious or not...I'm sorry if this came out as offensive but those are amazing scores and AMAZING GPA and you say you half assed your study time and got those scores is a little offensive to some of us that are working hard to hopefully reach those scores.

Last edited:
Haha thanks guys! You're all making me feel much more confident about my scores! I was seriously contemplating retaking them but after hearing this from all of you I don't feel the need as much.

Thanks for all the positive support guys!

Wouldn't call it all 'positive' support. As bobatee said, don't know if you meant to, but you're post probably comes off as demeaning to people who didn't do as well on the DAT who put a lot into it. Think before you post something like this.

Other than that, good job and good luck.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++