1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

NEED ADVICE on Postbacc (VCU biomed cert or Georgetown masters)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drbilla, May 19, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. drbilla

drbilla

May 19, 2014
    Hey Everyone,

I have been on this forum many times, but this is the first time I have posted anything. I applied to various postbacc programs and got into a few of them, and narrowed it down to the VCU biomedical certificate program vs. Georgetown University Masters in Tumor Biology. I'm not sure which one would be better for a student in my situation. I had a low gpa in my undergrad thus I want to take grad courses to show that I can do the work. Both programs will have graduate courses, but the VCU program will have more med school like courses such as physiology, biochem, etc . The Georgetown program will have science courses such as Cancer Biochemistry, Cell Bio, etc. Does anyone know if the courses I take will be taken into consideration, or will they just see that I have taken grad level science courses and did well or not. Also, will having a masters rather than a certificate make me look more competitive or does that fact that I have taken grad classes only matter? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.