Need advice on pursuing MD/DO after an MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zindagi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No need for a post-bac. You should take MCAT and apply ASAP. For MD schools, keep in mind that by Sept, it's getting way late. For DO programs, the cycle is longer, and you're good until Dec and even January. Good luck!

I'm a Master of Public Health student at a reputable university and need some advice on med school admissions

I've taken the medical prerequisites, and graduated my UG on the lower end, with 3.5 gpa and 3.4 sgpa. My MPH grades are great, but I know this doesn't say much. I truly love epidemiology and public health, but feel that I need to pursue a clinical degree to achieve my long term goals. I have solid experience in clinical settings...I've shadowed/volunteered in hospitals, worked in PH and HIV/infectious diseases research in Africa for 6 months (and am continuing the work now), am currently designing a IVDU/Hep C health promotion tool for the city through the local PH department, and have extensive leadership/many other work, volunteer and community service ECs

My undergrad grades followed an upward trend, I got B's in bio, gen chem and calc, but A's in later classes, stats, ochem, achem and some physics.

I received A's in all MPH coursework that will count toward MD/DO schools

My plan of action is this: I think doing a formal post bacc/special masters will be a waste of time and money for me. I plan to spend time studying for the MCAT after graduation and then taking Biochem, physio and anatomy to boost my sgpa and fulfill requirement.

Any advice on a different route/my chances?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, take that MCAT and go for it. No need to add more to your numbers and accomplishments, they're great.

Reactions: 1 user
its necessary for IMG to give MCAT for applying for MPH in USA ?