Need advice on reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBeADoc7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I am one of the many that probably won't be going to medical school my first time. I am instate at NC and only received 2 II (from ECU and UNC). I've been rejected from ECU and although I haven't heard anything from UNC, I'm guessing it's a rejection as well. Below I've listed the fundamentals of my application:

GPA:3.64
sGPA: 3.54
MCAT: 513 (89th percentile ~ 33)
Extracurriculars: 300 hours of volunteering (a Public service scholar at my school)
EC's include primarily: Language Facilitator, one on one volunteering in pediatric oncology, student government
Research: Academic Research for 1 year through my department as well as a part time research assistant for 6 months (I continued this and now will have been doing research for 2 years and a year and a half as a part time research assistant)

From this, I think my weakness was clinical experience. I tried to say that my research and volunteer were both clinical since both were conducted at the hospital, but I don't know if they agreed or not. I don't *think* GPA and MCAT are bad enough to have to retake or do a post bac.

New things to add to my application:
My GPA has gone up to 3.68
My thesis is going to be published in a journal.
I have defended my research in San Diego
Presented a poster in the undergraduate research symposium at my school
increased shadowing by (50-100 hours)
extended time volunteering and as a research assistant, and on student government
become a staff writer for a college food magazine
gotten a job hopefully (I'll know in the next two weeks) as a clinical trials assistant at a VA hospital
gotten phlebotomy trained (upcoming this May)

Any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, so I am one of the many that probably won't be going to medical school my first time. I am instate at NC and only received 2 II (from ECU and UNC). I've been rejected from ECU and although I haven't heard anything from UNC, I'm guessing it's a rejection as well. Below I've listed the fundamentals of my application:

GPA:3.64
sGPA: 3.54
MCAT: 513 (89th percentile ~ 33)
Extracurriculars: 300 hours of volunteering (a Public service scholar at my school)
EC's include primarily: Language Facilitator, one on one volunteering in pediatric oncology, student government
Research: Academic Research for 1 year through my department as well as a part time research assistant for 6 months (I continued this and now will have been doing research for 2 years and a year and a half as a part time research assistant)

From this, I think my weakness was clinical experience. I tried to say that my research and volunteer were both clinical since both were conducted at the hospital, but I don't know if they agreed or not. I don't *think* GPA and MCAT are bad enough to have to retake or do a post bac.

New things to add to my application:
My GPA has gone up to 3.68
My thesis is going to be published in a journal.
I have defended my research in San Diego
Presented a poster in the undergraduate research symposium at my school
increased shadowing by (50-100 hours)
extended time volunteering and as a research assistant, and on student government
become a staff writer for a college food magazine
gotten a job hopefully (I'll know in the next two weeks) as a clinical trials assistant at a VA hospital
gotten phlebotomy trained (upcoming this May)

Any advice is appreciated

I think it might help to know at exactly which schools you applied. feel free to post the list!

Just my .02 but I think your GPA and MCAT are fine. I think you took the right steps by boosting your EC's. I would spend some time working on the written presentation of your app, your PS, secondaries, and how you describe your EC's. Make sure you have a coherent narrative that expresses your motivations for being a doctor and how your attributes and experiences fit into that. Have lots of people proofread your writing, including people who do and do not know you well.

Also, it can never hurt to brush up on interviewing skills!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are fine.

Two things stand out as potential common concerns: Evidence of service to the less fortunate and clinical experience beyond shadowing. Your descriptions arent super specific but were these things present in your app last cycle and if so to what degree?

As always presentation of yourself both in interviews and in your app is something to spend alot of time reflecting and re-evaluating upon. Looking at how you fit with what a school is looking for is crucial: for example Brody has a clear cut mission towards primary care in rural NC, what part of your application or what you presented about yourself via essays etc would appeal to a mission like that?

Thanks for the advice guys! So the Brody rejection was the biggest shock to me. I've been on 2 different service trips to rural NC and emphasized family medicine pretty heavily through my interview and essays. As far as schools that I applied to, here was my list:

UNC (II 11/04, but no news since)
ECU (II 09/21, rejected in February)
MUSC
VCU (didn't even get a secondary)
Wake Forest
UM
Georgetown
GWU
Tufts
NYMC
SUNY stonybrook
SUNY brooklyn
UVA
University of Toledo

Looking back, Georgetown and GWU were bad choices for me to apply for considering their acceptance rate is 2ish%. MUSC and VCU were also bad choices considering they are state schools.

ALSO: my clinical experience was mostly within the context of the pediatric oncology unit. Through the program I worked in, I was paired with 2 kids and accompanied them on all their appointments. At the time I applied, I had only been doing it for 9 months, but I've continued and now its been over a year and a half. I'm hoping that my job for next year (still choosing either a clinical trials assistant at the VA or a care assistant at UNC) will boost my hours in clinical experience