Need Advice on Reporting comlex vs USMLE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joan345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am an osteopathic student applying for MD Internal Medicine positions. I have good USMLE scores: Step I (230) Step II (246) and passed Step 2 CS. Unfortunately, not so good for COMLEX Step 2 PE, failed the humanistic portion and had to retake it (and hopefully passed it this time). COMLEX step 1 of 612 and Step 2 CE of 640.

Although I still have 2 months left for allopathic applications, I was wondering if I should bother to report my comlex scores in my application. I have heard that we are not technically required to report our comlex if we dont want to. At the same time, I am thinking if it would look bad on the application. Will the residency programs start to wonder why she's not reporting her comlex scores? Also, what if they ask during the interview about comlex scores?Thank you guys any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I am an osteopathic student applying for MD Internal Medicine positions. I have good USMLE scores: Step I (230) Step II (246) and passed Step 2 CS. Unfortunately, not so good for COMLEX Step 2 PE, failed the humanistic portion and had to retake it (and hopefully passed it this time). COMLEX step 1 of 612 and Step 2 CE of 640.

Although I still have 2 months left for allopathic applications, I was wondering if I should bother to report my comlex scores in my application. I have heard that we are not technically required to report our comlex if we dont want to. At the same time, I am thinking if it would look bad on the application. Will the residency programs start to wonder why she's not reporting her comlex scores? Also, what if they ask during the interview about comlex scores?Thank you guys any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.....

They'll know you took it so it could come up in interviews. Your scores are really good though.

Is it best to release both of the scores than or is it worth taking a chance so that I could get away without them knowing I failed the PE on first attempt?

All they are going to care about is your USMLE. Maybe written comlex but not the PE. You might want to think about what you did to fail the humanistic portion though as bad interpersonal skills will obviously show in your interview. I know the PE can be a little over the top though.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask... why in the WORLD did you take the USMLE Step 2 CS.... and to that point, what was different for you between the USMLE CS and the COMLEX PE? Your scores look good,and I suppose there might be a way to take the PE asap, then just point to your passing the CS and explain the failed PE as a bad day. You obviously had the humanistic component down for that day

ps... ALWAYS better to report a red flag and give an explanation then try to hide it... the programs can and will find out if they want to or need to. It will not look good if it seems like you hid something.

yeah I took the PE again and did pretty well I think...I dont know but I had signed up for CS from the beginning so just ended up taking it...Personally I acted the same during both CS and PE...I really cant not being to tell you how they failed me in the humanistic portion...but it is what its...I guess..

So you think that I should just reveal my comlex scores too after I get the passing grade in the PE (which I will before the end of Aug)?