Need advice on semi strange situation...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dapmp91, Jul 25, 2006.

1. dapmp91

dapmp91 Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys, I don't know how strange my situation is but I'll let you evaluate that. Well I'm gonna be starting my sophomore year taking General Chem II, Bio I, and Calc, and the second semester of my sophomore year I will be taking Organic I and Bio II, and will be taking some other bio courses, and I will be taking the summer off because I am going out of country. My junior year(first semester) I will be taking Organic II and Physics I, and second semester of my junior year I will be taking Physics II. I will take the summer MCAT prior to my senior year, is this alright? I'm a little behind and I don't like cramming science courses in my summer or all at once in one semester unless I'm comfortable. I'm not following the norm of what I am hearing which is "finish your premed prereqs (bcmp) before junior year" I will be finishing them right before senior year. I'm really at a loss here and your advice is gold...( just don't verbally abuse me,,i'm still new here...kinda) :love:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey, there are going to be a LOT more MCAT administrations through out the year, starting in 2007. So you have more flexibility there.

I think your experience going out of the country is going to be really good for your apps as well, something to write about. At the least, you'll gain perspective. It would be good to keep a journal if you can, to help you sort out the learning process or whatever.

Remember you don't have to apply while in college---you want to have everything ready to go (MCAT, EC's, GPA, LOR, etc) when you are ready to apply--and get your apps in as early as possible.

The timelines will be different for you guys once the MCAT structure changes and more people can take the MCAT in different times of the year. :luck:

4. Bubchik

Bubchik Senior Member

Op, do not worry. I have not finished all my prereqs before I took MCAT, actually I was still taking Ochem Lab in fall of senior year when I was interviewing. So as long as you are finished by the time you graduate you are fine.

I do not think it hurt my chances of getting in or during MCAT, though I did take prep course (Kaplan). Also some schools have those weird prereqs such as economics or biostats, those for sure can be taken last semester.

Travel and have fun, because undergrad is the best time to do it!!!!

5. mvenus929

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm finishing all my science pre-reqs right before I take the MCAT. So don't worry too much about it. I would just make sure that they offer the off-track classes in the semesters you want to take them. I know after this semester, my school won't be offering the Physics II lab off track, so I got really lucky there...

6. swim2md

swim2md Ni.

Pre-Medical
    I didn't even finish my pre-med reqs before I graduated..... ended up attending night school for physics.

In any case, I took the MCAT before I had physics and still managed an 11 on that section..... when I met with an adcom, she loved the fact that i had done so well without having the class yet..... so it can work to your advantage, too.

7. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I want to second what Jackie is pointing out that the MCAT is going to be administered around 22 times a year in 2007. So don't worry about taking it in august and being late. You could take it in june or july if you could start studying a little near the end of your junior year. Also the results should be released much quicker. I think instead of 8 weeks they said for sure 4 weeks, but eventually it should be around 2 weeks. So even if you took it in late july or early august you could have results in 2 -4 weeks and be good to go.

8. CityDweller

CityDweller Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is nothing wrong with it at all, you will be done with your pre-reqs before you apply during your sr. year. Plus you will ahve the MCAT done before you apply as well. I was a non-traditional applicant and I'm about to start med school in the fall so I will most certainly say... there is no rush. Good luck!