Quantcast

Need Advice on upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petermurdock1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Non-trad here looking for advice about an upward trend. After highschool I went to college and was a loser and just lazy. Freshman year GPA was about 1.2. So I didn't enroll in any more classes and went back when I was 22 and just recently graduated with a BA in a social science major and took all pre reqs. I calculated my AMCAS gpa and it is 3.18 but the soph, jr, and Sr. year gpas are around 3.7. I have about 180 credits completed. I haven't taken the Mcat yet but I'm about to start a family and before I drag everyone along for the ride should I even try? I'm Hispanic as well and was told it might help.

Help a brotha out! Thanks!

mitch8017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some Adcoms will like to see that you have overcome your mistakes and learned from them and yes, URM is very beneficial to your application. Portray that you have matured and do well on your MCAT. Also is there any type of trend in the 3 years you went back to school? Upward, downward or V?

confidentandgood

Bunburyin' it.
Reaction score
Retaking all poor coursework (C and below) and scoring well on the MCAT will give you a good shot at DO schools. They follow a grade replacement policy that only factors the most recent course grade into your GPA.

petermurdock1

Reaction score
Some Adcoms will like to see that you have overcome your mistakes and learned from them and yes, URM is very beneficial to your application. Portray that you have matured and do well on your MCAT. Also is there any type of trend in the 3 years you went back to school? Upward, downward or V?

When I went back my grades were consistently good I never had a downward trend. The gpa of my three other years are very close so I guess I would consider it a very steep upward trend and consistent after that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

petermurdock1

Reaction score
Retaking all poor coursework (C and below) and scoring well on the MCAT will give you a good shot at DO schools. They follow a grade replacement policy that only factors the most recent course grade into your GPA.

Great to know! Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app