need advice on what test preps to purchase!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msu08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the DAT for the last time. took the kaplan course sometime back, used the repeat fees, etc., so I cant have access to the online stuff anymore, but I have the book, etc. I like kaplan a lot but I don't want to spend another $1000 on it again. what other test preps would people recommend? I'm planning on studying for the test over my winter break(4 weeks) in 3 weeks. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREAT! I need lots of math help, and I plan on getting a tutor, so if anyone found the math to be helpful in a certain program, I'd really appreciate a suggestion! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the DAT for the last time. took the kaplan course sometime back, used the repeat fees, etc., so I cant have access to the online stuff anymore, but I have the book, etc. I like kaplan a lot but I don't want to spend another $1000 on it again. what other test preps would people recommend? I'm planning on studying for the test over my winter break(4 weeks) in 3 weeks. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREAT! I need lots of math help, and I plan on getting a tutor, so if anyone found the math to be helpful in a certain program, I'd really appreciate a suggestion! Thanks!
kaplan is not enough. You may screw up in the real DAT if you use kaplan alone. I suggest you use Destroyer and topscore.

Members don't see this ad :)
kaplan is not enough. You may screw up in the real DAT if you use kaplan alone. I suggest you use Destroyer and topscore.
so true!! thats what happened to me 1st time i took it and i loved it how i specifically asked them " so if i learn EVERYTHING in your book, i will Ace the DAT. They said "of course! our book has ALL THE INFO" riiiiiight.. i didnt know about any other dat study materials back then.. oh well.
Personally, i hate Kaplan, their bio is not nearly detailed enough, their QR& GC is way too hard and confuses you, OC is ok and pat is not like on the dat..
Get Top Score & Achiever in addition to Destroyer

I only used Kaplan and scored a 21 in GC and 22 in OC. I got a 19 in BIO reading Cliffs AP Biology and I only read 75% of the book. Kaplan's material is very good, especially for the GC. I have no idea what I got wrong in GC minus one question you either knew or you didn't. I had Kaplans GC material down pat and read it twice w/ notecards the second time. If you are shooting for a 24+, then sure get the destroyer, keep in mind a 21 vs a 24 in GC depending on the question and test given is only 1 or 2 questions wrong but it looks a hell of a lot better. Keep in mind the resources in Kaplan is what really nail the questions.

In a nutshell:
If you want 18-21 = Do Kaplan and all their materials w/ Cliffs AP
If you want 22+ = Get more resources, ie Destroyer, and other **** I guess

what was destroyer strong in specifically? it's just a book right? are there computer tests included?

dat destroyer- has questions for bio chem orgo and math. These questions are very hard and there are alot of tricky questions. In the solutions it explains all the questions so it will really help you. Make sure you have a good background though bec. it will be very difficult if you don't have a good foundation in all the sciences

to start brushing up on some things i would start with kaplan blue book, cliffs ap bio, and cliffs chem to point out any weak areas.

destroyer is great but its not something to learn from. it is something to use to test your knowledge after you have already done some studying. i do think though that destroyer is the best for orgo. the road maps and great to brush up on too, but anything youre unsure of i would go back to class notes and textbook.

i havent tried crack dat pat, but from what i see on the board it is highly recommended, its something that just kind of comes to me.

topscore and achiever are the best to use for timing. you can study as much as you want and know everything, but you need to be fast!

good luck, let us know when you got questions.

forgot about math, i personally think you should try to get your hands on a ny state regents book from amazon or something. it may be a little advanced for the dats, but its cheap and definitely good practice.

can any body tell me what do i have to study before the exam and where can i take a useful course for them like kablan ? or other?

and how many times can i get the exam ?
sorry but i have no idia about this exam
thanks