Need advice on what to do, test in 10 days with low CARS/high GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

givemethenews

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just scored a 509 (129/123/128/129) on practice test 2. This is an overall improvement from my 1st official take (127/124/128/124) but my CARS scores have always been this consistent and I have not had enough time to practice. I had to rush the final 2 passages on that exam and several other passages were not very great with feelings of "what did I just read?" and that intimidation/lose my mind factor. I am T-10 days from my test date and I know how to improve with more time, but my will to do that immediately is not that great. At this point, I don't care about going DO or not.

Here's what I've come up with
- Take the test, improve my score, and do my best on the CARS section. Apply this cycle.
- Do not take the test, apply with a 503, and hope I get in to a DO school. If I don't get in, retake the test later
- Do not take the test and retake later in December when my mind gets ready to take this on again. Apply next cycle. Keep going over questions and material lightly every weekend all summer. Do something significant whether it be hospital work, research, grad school, etc.

I do value the work I've put in already, and have considered delaying because of that. Here are some other things.

- 3.95 GPA, I think a sGPA 3.87 (2 B's), and a BS in exercise science from Winona State University, MN with a minor in nutrition.
-2nd place in a research symposium with a retrospective study on CR adenoma detection rates/risks in my community. Working on publishing it now.
- Top student award in major as decided by the department at graduation
-Volunteer EMT for over 1500+ hours, 150 hours of shadowing, will pick up an ERT job soon.
- Created/directed/coached a Varsity lacrosse club for 3 years (about 1000 hours each year) also raised helped to raise $15,000 for it and expanded it into 70 kids. This is my pride and joy.
-Youth mentor for 3 years+, VP of my fraternity for a year, other small fraternity responsibilities
- 4 possible LOR- 1 great one from an MD whom I have shadowed, was an assistant coach on my team, is my research mentor, and knows me quite well. 1 from a DO general surgeon who asked to write one after I worked with him on my research and observing me coach (has a kid on the team). 2 from professors who will probably be good/average.

Members don't see this ad.

I had struggles with CARS as well initially. I used Testing Solutions CARS material to better understand how to approach this section. I went through their 30 day guide in about two weeks. I did several days of lessons from the Testing Solutions 30 day guide that teach you strategy and skills necessary for CARS and would do a full CARS section every day for two weeks. Doing this I brought my CARS section up about two points in two weeks and wound up with a 129 on test day. If you do it this way I would highly recommend reading days 25-28 first as these are the ones that teach you how to properly review the CARS practice passages you do. While you may not want to go about doing this for CARS and it may not help everyone it definitely was a large part of me being able to do well in the section. Below is the link to TL 30 Day guide; its free so this isn't illegal or anything, just making it easier to find.
Dropbox - Table of Contents - Links to Daily Posts.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the poster above. Try out the Testing Solutions Pack, the passages are very dense and all of the possible options for answers are very alike. You learn to approach CARs differently, by trying to eliminate wrong answers instead of looking for the correct one, which makes CARs easier.