Need advice/opinion about likelihood of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

everybluemoon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a junior undergrad and I was originally pre-physical therapy, but recently switched gears to pre-osteopathy. I kinda just want to throw my current stats out there and get some feedback. I'm really trying to figure out what it is that will make me a better candidate for DO school.

My major is Kinesiology-Athletic Medicine, NOT biology, although the degrees do have a lot of overlap since my major is geared for PT school (1 year of bio, chem, physics, with labs, A&P, statistics, etc)
I have just declared a bio minor, because I just have to take a genetics class and microbio. I plan to graduate in Dec 2014 and do post-bacc OChem w/ labs and biochem.
I switched to pre-med track because I want to become a PM&R physician and still work in the rehab field, but I want to have more control over patient care. In short, I would prefer to be the one writing the orders rather than just carrying them out, although this undeniably comes with increased amount of responsibility.

I am 20 years old and hope to finish med school by the time I'm 27, but I worry my young age will cause admissions committees not to respect me as much as non-traditional applicants.
I have a cumulative 3.87 GPA, a science GPA of 3.95. I have over 300 hours of Physical therapy specific volunteer/observation work, and ~450 hours of overall community service. I am currently trying to contact other DO's (preferably PM&R's) to shadow, but it is quite difficult. I am being very persistent, calling every week to check the status of it since I know it is easy to forget about prospective students.
I am treasurer of a Heart Health organization on my campus and hopefully will begin doing research in the fall with the Kinesiology Department Chair.
I also work as TA for a Biology course as supplementary instructor and am responsible for over 90 students and may have the opportunity to teach the biology 1 lab next year.

I do not come from an "underprivileged" community or have a remarkable story that drew me to medicine. My story is very stereotypical: I was an athlete, got injured, had surgery, recovered quickly and returned to my sport and have maintained an active lifestyle and love the wellness community as well as rehab.

Please please please tell me if you have ANY recommendations on how to stand out as an applicant. I greatly appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am a junior undergrad and I was originally pre-physical therapy, but recently switched gears to pre-osteopathy. I kinda just want to throw my current stats out there and get some feedback. I'm really trying to figure out what it is that will make me a better candidate for DO school.

My major is Kinesiology-Athletic Medicine, NOT biology, although the degrees do have a lot of overlap since my major is geared for PT school (1 year of bio, chem, physics, with labs, A&P, statistics, etc)
I have just declared a bio minor, because I just have to take a genetics class and microbio. I plan to graduate in Dec 2014 and do post-bacc OChem w/ labs and biochem.
I switched to pre-med track because I want to become a PM&R physician and still work in the rehab field, but I want to have more control over patient care. In short, I would prefer to be the one writing the orders rather than just carrying them out, although this undeniably comes with increased amount of responsibility.

I am 20 years old and hope to finish med school by the time I'm 27, but I worry my young age will cause admissions committees not to respect me as much as non-traditional applicants.
I have a cumulative 3.87 GPA, a science GPA of 3.95. I have over 300 hours of Physical therapy specific volunteer/observation work, and ~450 hours of overall community service. I am currently trying to contact other DO's (preferably PM&R's) to shadow, but it is quite difficult. I am being very persistent, calling every week to check the status of it since I know it is easy to forget about prospective students.
I am treasurer of a Heart Health organization on my campus and hopefully will begin doing research in the fall with the Kinesiology Department Chair.
I also work as TA for a Biology course as supplementary instructor and am responsible for over 90 students and may have the opportunity to teach the biology 1 lab next year.

I do not come from an "underprivileged" community or have a remarkable story that drew me to medicine. My story is very stereotypical: I was an athlete, got injured, had surgery, recovered quickly and returned to my sport and have maintained an active lifestyle and love the wellness community as well as rehab.

Please please please tell me if you have ANY recommendations on how to stand out as an applicant. I greatly appreciate it!!

Get at least a 25 on the MCAT and you're golden.

Your GPA makes you stand out. I have many students who were also kinesiology majors too.

Members don't see this ad :)

....with that gpa and a 35+ you would be able to apply everywhere. For a do? 25+ balanced with at least 8 on each section

You have better stats than most applicants if you get a decent mcat. If you get a good mcat score you could easily apply to MD(if you want to). Don't worry about your age, non trads are non trads for a reason, they aren't the traditional applicant and are in the minority. That said, I interviewed with all grad students, professionals and recent grads yesterday and I'm still in college, that was intimidating but no big deal.