sumin5924

5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys!
Long time lurker here!

I just recently took my DAT and actually did surprisingly okay!
I got AA-22 TS-22 PAT-22, bio-23 gc-23 oc-21 qr-19 rc-26
I think these are pretty competitive scores

My dilemna lies in that my gpa during undergrad was horrendous...around 2.8ish. I don't think it's even salvageable or worth salvaging at this point. What do you guys think?
Should I just continue to take upperdiv courses and retake ones i got C-'s in to break 3.0? If so, would schools view cc courses in a negative light?
My other option is to try again with a fresh graduate GPA. My question is would this be sufficient enough to mask my undergrad performance? Also, are there any specific programs that dental schools look at favorably?

Thanks guys.

Dec 11, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey there!

Awesome scores btw!

I'm not sure if this is applies to all schools but I know for sure in TX, they would recommend a year of postbac by taking a full course load of upper division bio classes. Sure your gpa may never hit a 3.5 unless you took 3 years of post bac but it's the upward trend and recent coursework they look at. By looking at your DAT scores, I'd say you are in pretty good standing and a year of post bac would look great if you did well. However, I would still call the schools you are interested in to make sure.
If you are already a bio major and took most of the upper division bio classes, then it MIGHT be better to pursue a masters (pref a one year non thesis) in biology or biomedical sciences.

I'm in the same boat as you. My gpa isn't great at all so I'm planning to retake the DAT (hopefully get your score or above :D) and do a year of post bac.

Don't give up!

Member 6236

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
A post bac would be your best bet since a lot of schools won't even LOOK at a sub 3.0 gpa...sadly :/

But congrats on your great scores!! Do you mind doing a brief breakdown? Just letting us know what was the most helpful resource to study from or what your DAT was most like?

Thanks!!

LaughingGas

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student, Dentist
Do the 1 year SMP and apply the following year after you are done with the SMP with an actual degree with 4.0.