Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need advice or maybe just a good kick in the a$$.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nezlab99, Jun 1, 2002.

1. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member

I'm filling out applications right now, and I'm just sick of it. Not only am I just sick of the paperwork and stuff, but I don't know if this is really what I need to do at this very moment of my life. In the back of my mind, I've been thinking I might defer after I get accepted to a school, but I doubt I really will. I feel like I've been pursuing this so much for my whole life that I haven't realy had any life changing experiences to include in my app.
    Enough of my whining. I just wanted to know if this is normal. Does everyone kinda get in a rut when they are filling all this out? I just feel like it might be better for me to put it off for a year, live a less stressful life, and be sure that this is what I want to do before I make this huge commitment. I don't really have any friends that are faced with the same kind of situation, so I'd really appreciate any advice or insight any of you have.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it depends on how old you are. If you are less than 25 or so, then definitely wait to apply if you are unsure that this is what you really want to do. I think it is very wise to experience life outside of academic circles for a while before deciding to commit to a medical career. Best wishes...

4. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member

Thank you for the advice. I'm 20.

5. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    IMHO if you already have doubts and we're just at the beginning of the process, those doubts will only be strengthened as we go along. I would venture to guess that in your personal statement, secondaries, adn during your interviews, the adcoms might sense your hesitancy.

I've seen a lot of pre-meds at my school that feel rushed. To me it seems as if they are. They are required to know in their third year what they want to do for at least a significant portion of their lives. Some do know this, and that's wonderful. But others just feel like taking a class at the wrong time will just screw them over.
    I suggest to them that they just slow down and take it easy. If you don't do everything in the "normal" time period, no one, even the adcoms, will punish you. I highly suggest that you take some time off to make sure that this is what you want to do. If it is, then after that year (or longer if you need it) you'll be rejuvenated and excited about going to med school which will be reflected in your attitude on the application and in interviews.
    And, if you decide that med school isn't for you, then you've just saved yourself tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars.
    Just my 2&cent

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nezlab99:
    <strong>Thank you for the advice. I'm 20.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do not waste your early twenties sitting in a classroom at some medical school. There are so many more interesting things to be doing. Follow pocwana's advice. Slow down a bit and enjoy your youth because it's difficult to get it back.

7. Jedi In Training

Jedi In Training Senior Member

Pocwana and mpp make excellent points. I took time off before applying to travel and participate in research. I will start med school this Fall in a better position than if I would have done so a few years back.

However, if you have thought about med school for a long time and now are complaining about an application, you are just lazy.

8. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member

Thanks yall, I appreciate the candidness.
    Maybe I just posted this to like get permission from somebody. I don't know. Thanks though. If anyone else has input please post. I just don't know what to do.

Being lazy does have a certain attraction though. If that is infact my problem. Know what I mean?

9. Michelys

Michelys Senior Member

Cheer up--the application process is just starting! Maybe your apprehensiveness about the whole thing so early on is what you were thinking in the first place--that maybe you need to be doing something else you find worthwhile. When I applied (last year) I was thrilled to be completing AMCAS (until it started acting up that is! :p ). Waiting for stuff to go through and getting secondaries and interviews were where the real "I'm fed up with this crap!!!" stuff began for me...I dunno. See if this is what you really want to do all year. It's best to figure it out now before you find out late in the game, say Jan/Dec after you've sent in all your hard earned efforts and money, that you don't want to apply at this time. Good luck.

10. monchi

monchi Member

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you about my experiences.
    I first applied to med school because I didn't know what to do after I graduated. Thankfully, I didn't get in. Since then, I've gotten a MS and have worked for a few years. So I've had a few years of living the 9 to 5 job-type life, and I've enjoyed it. But I've decided to return to school. In my case, I became very sure of my decision to be a physician. I realized that is the profession I really want. I want the stresses that beign a physician will bring. However, having come to this decision, I wouldn't change at all how I got here. The experiences I've had "in the real world" are invaluable to me. I've met people and learned so much. All these things helped me make my decision.
    I also have a few friends who were in situations similar to yours. One went to med school for two years and hated it, and quit. Before she started med school, she had felt exactly the same way you do now, and made the decision to leave. She couldn't be happier now. (Paying off $80,000 in debt was tough though, but she feels it was worth it.)
    Another friend went to med school because her parents expected her to. She's in her third year now and can't stand it. I think if she had listened to her doubts before she had started, she'd be in a better position now.
    And I know other people who waited like me, got in a few years later, and love it.
    Everyone is different, and I guess that's not helpful advice. But I guess I'm just trying to tell you to listen to yourself. Waiting is not a big deal, and won't hurt you in the application process later. Becoming a physician is a life-style choice. Would you expect a 5 year old to beabsolutely certain that he will be straight or gay? No, because a 5 year old lacks knowledge and experience (a slightly weird analogy, but the best one I could think of). By the same token, if you feel you lack knowledge and experience, going out and getting some before you make a decision can only help.