Need advice: personal experiences that led to desire to become physician...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCdannyLA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do AdComs look favorably upon that?

For example, in my case (i'll give a briefff summary)...I had to have five surgeries (one of them being a failed surgery). I lived with a bandage wrapped around my head for 2 years. Missed 4 months of high school. Was depressed out of my mind and didn't succeed in anything.

Then it was my surgeon who changed my life...he kept telling me that "everything I was going through, was to make me a stronger person..." so that I "could do great things in this world." He always told me to set the highest goals. And that changed my life. After my last surgery, my surgeon told me to "make an impact on the world!" Ever since then I've experienced nothing but happiness and success.

In essence that is what incited my desire to become a doctor...I want to heal people not only physically, but intrinsically (through inspiration, encouragement, advice, etc.) as well--especially on children going through difficult operations.

Is a story like this something that AdComs would look favorably upon or is it too hackneyed? I have no idea... HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

UCdannyLA said:
Do AdComs look favorably upon that?

For example, in my case (i'll give a briefff summary)...I had to have five surgeries (one of them being a failed surgery). I lived with a bandage wrapped around my head for 2 years. Missed 4 months of high school. Was depressed out of my mind and didn't succeed in anything.

Then it was my surgeon who changed my life...he kept telling me that "everything I was going through, was to make me a stronger person..." so that I "could do great things in this world." He always told me to set the highest goals. And that changed my life. After my last surgery, my surgeon told me to "make an impact on the world!" Ever since then I've experienced nothing but happiness and success.

In essence that is what incited my desire to become a doctor...I want to heal people not only physically, but intrinsically (through inspiration, encouragement, advice, etc.) as well--especially on children going through difficult operations.

Is a story like this something that AdComs would look favorably upon or is it too hackneyed? I have no idea... HELP!

I do not think AdComs would look unfavorably on your experiences at all. Just be honest about your reason to go into medicine. Don't worry about what AdComs will think. IMHO, I think AdComs would look on your experiences in a very favorable light. Not many of us applicants have had such experiences so it is important to mention them if you have gone through them. People have been inspired to be physicians because of such experiences and you should not look down on them. Embrace your experiences and be truthful to who you are. That is the best bit of advice I can offer you in this whole medical school application process. I wish you the best of luck! :)

Not at all. If it was truly important to your choice to become a physician, I think its worthwhile to talk about it. Also- you're experience is not at all hackneyed. Perhaps if you talked about how you broke your leg twice or how your uncle died when you were 8. Those are valid reasons/experiences, but they are experiences that countless people face. Your story, on the other hand, is somethng very few of your fellow applicants will have gone through..and I'm sure that when you become a Dr, it will give you a unique perspective about the patients you treat.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have a genuine life experience that made you think...hmm i really think medicine is the path that i should be on...

then write about it...and show that passion and excitement that you have felt after your surguries.

good luck future applicant. ;)

yes, that is a very good thing to do.

think about adcoms as very disillusioned college students. very tired of the bull****, sick of hearing rhetoric without anything to back it up. but if you read some thesis with actual concrete proofs of why you want to go into medicine, you will have a much more solid foundation, in their minds, of why you want to go into medicine.

anchor your personal statement with at least one personal experience (related to ECs, desire for medicine, your dog poopykins, whatever), and think of personal experiences for every one of your major spinning points during interviews.

Sounds like you've gone through a lot before applying to med school. I'd write about it...it sounds like it honestly changed you and touched you.

I spent much of college second-guessing my medical career aspirations (did I want to invest the time, the money, deal with the stress, alienate my family, put off having children...) - in fact, I researched every possible alternative and had all but given up on applying until 3 distinct experiences changed my mind prior to my senior year of college. I wrote candidly about my hesitations in my personal statement and while some people might consider this the "kiss of death", most of my interviewers said they were impressed that I was so honest. It couldn't have hurt me too badly b/c I'm starting at UMich in August! Go Blue!! :D