Need advice please - 28 years old professional .New and considering a post -bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
First question - Is 28 too old to do a post -bacc?
I am lawyer. The two main reasons I want to go into medicine are 1) I want a career that is very demanding and a career that I can devote myself to helping people. Also, I've always been a very driven person, and having a "successful career" is important to me. Also, I must admit I am not cut out for law. I know someone might say that I can find a job that satisfies the above mentioned reasons I want to go into medicine in law, but it really is not easy, I've looked around. 2) I've always been interested in medicine. Ever since I was a kid I was fascinated with the decision making and types of cases doctors deal with. But, to be honest, I don't know much about what it is really like. I'm sure I am suffering from a bit of the grass is greener stuff.
Are these the wrong reasons to go into medicine?

Also, do I even have a shot a post -bacc? My grades are not great at all. I really turned it around in law school and during my working career so far.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Find the nontrad forum for age discussion. Short answer is no, you're nowhere near too old, as long as you accept the financial impact of having no income for a decade. I'm one of 3 students over 40 in my MS3 class.
2. Wanting to do medicine has to go up against real clinical exposure before you have any mature basis to pursue medicine. Get a clinical volunteering gig, 4hrs/wk, such as at a hospital or free clinic. This is the price of entry to being a premed. Not optional. From this gig you can get access to doctors to shadow and discuss your motivations, as well as get access to research opportunities.
3. Undergrad GPA is everything. Search SDN for "low GPA" to get some perspective. There's a HUGE low GPA thread in this subforum with over a half million views, for starters.
4. The word "postbac" will not get you good help. Be diligent in understanding what you need (prereqs, GPA redemption?) and be specific in what you're pursuing (formal prereqs program, academic enhancement?). The state you live in matters a great deal.
5. The quality of help you get on SDN is inversely proportional to the work you do yourself. Assume there have been thousands of people on SDN in exactly your situation; go find their stories.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user