Need advice. Please read. Just finished sophomore year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabularasa11790

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just finished my first 2 years of undergrad with a 3.1 cumulative GPA. I understand this is low, and I will work hard to boost that up. My dilemma is this:

I'm currently taking an MCAT course and have tremendous difficulty on the Biology and Physics sections (have yet to take both respective classes at school).

I've conducted research at Columbia and my work will be mentioned in a publication. Extracurricular activities wise, I have a plethora of things to show for myself (leadership, volunteer work, athletics, etc...).

With my current GPA and lack of aptitude in the core sciences (which at this point will greatly affect my MCAT score), I'm very anxious.

I don't know what to do and I'm hoping you can give me a sense of direction.

As my username suggests, I want to start my junior with a "clean slate". I'm a smart guy, I just haven't truly applied myself and I want to now put myself in a situation where I can have the best chance to reach my goal. Too many sub-par grades in the sciences...a product of poor effort. I don't want to look back at these years and later regret my choices. Please guide me in anyway possible. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm currently taking an MCAT course and have tremendous difficulty on the Biology and Physics sections (have yet to take both respective classes at school).

Most MCAT review courses are designed to help students remember subjects that they have already seen before. Learning a full year of introductory biology, physics, etc. over the few weeks that most courses take will be an immense challenge.

If I were you, I would take the intro bio and phys classes this year, learn the material really well the first time, and then decide on what type of review you need to do next summer or whenever you decide to take the MCAT. You will be in a much better position for the tested material at that point. Of course, if you're set on applying next year, you'll have to decide when will be best for you to take the MCAT (i.e. not too late in the application cycle).

A high MCAT could help offset some of the concern of your low GPA in the first couple of years, so I think it would be worth it to make sure you are really well-prepared, and writing it only once.

Most MCAT review courses are designed to help students remember subjects that they have already seen before. Learning a full year of introductory biology, physics, etc. over the few weeks that most courses take will be an immense challenge.

If I were you, I would take the intro bio and phys classes this year, learn the material really well the first time, and then decide on what type of review you need to do next summer or whenever you decide to take the MCAT. You will be in a much better position for the tested material at that point. Of course, if you're set on applying next year, you'll have to decide when will be best for you to take the MCAT (i.e. not too late in the application cycle).

A high MCAT could help offset some of the concern of your low GPA in the first couple of years, so I think it would be worth it to make sure you are really well-prepared, and writing it only once.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't take the MCAT without taking those core sciences.

Kaplan faculty for 3 years here...

All of the review classes are just that-- "review". You can't learn years of basic sciences in a couple of months. These aren't "teach" classes...

At this point, forget the MCAT and work on getting 4.0's from here on in. Worry about the MCAT when you're a senior.

Hi guys,

I just finished my first 2 years of undergrad with a 3.1 cumulative GPA. I understand this is low, and I will work hard to boost that up. My dilemma is this:

I've conducted research at Columbia and my work will be mentioned in a publication. Extracurricular activities wise, I have a plethora of things to show for myself (leadership, volunteer work, athletics, etc...).

With my current GPA and lack of aptitude in the core sciences (which at this point will greatly affect my MCAT score), I'm very anxious.

I don't know what to do and I'm hoping you can give me a sense of direction.

As my username suggests, I want to start my junior with a "clean slate". I'm a smart guy, I just haven't truly applied myself and I want to now put myself in a situation where I can have the best chance to reach my goal. Too many sub-par grades in the sciences...a product of poor effort. I don't want to look back at these years and later regret my choices. Please guide me in anyway possible. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

So I should focus on my GPA and forget the MCAT? Any tools to study for physics and biology?

Why the hell are you tryin to take the MCAT now??? Who told you that would be a good idea?

So I should focus on my GPA and forget the MCAT?

Doing well in the prerequisite biology and physics classes is part of preparing for the MCAT.

Any tools to study for physics and biology?

I'm a smart guy, I just haven't truly applied myself and I want to now put myself in a situation where I can have the best chance to reach my goal. Too many sub-par grades in the sciences...a product of poor effort.

Sounds like you need to put in more effort. Stay focused - don't let too much stuff outside of school distract you from doing well academically. You've made a decision to work hard, now follow through on it.