Need advice! Please read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calaxer19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a freshman undergrad this fall and I am unsure what to do over the summer.

I have been accepted to a summer internship program at a local hospital. I requested Emergency Dept., but after learning that it is more a clerical position, I requested a more clinical position.

I was given therapy (physical, occupational, speech, neuro, etc.). I met with the supervisor and he assured me little to no clerical work, and that I'd be able to work directly with the PTs and patients (setting up procedures, ultrasound, etc.). I like the idea of being involved with patient care, but I am not sure about how much I will gain from a therapy center. I am interested in becoming a Doctor in either emergency or internal medicine.

What do you think? Is this something you see as being worthwhile? While I am not doing it for the money, I do get paid very minimally.

I am also taking an EMT course in the evenings that I am looking forward to.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds great. Don't stress too much; it's still early in the application process! But any kind of clinical experience will allow you to more fully appreciate what it is that physicians do...

have a great summer then!

yep, that will be good for you.

You will be gaining humanitarian experience and learn how to deal with people that are sick in a direct way. PT's and nurses actually have alot more direct contact with patients that physicians.

When you get a year or two under your belt, you need to check into shadowing a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! I decided to give the therapy center a try. After getting a tour of the center today, I'm actually excited about it.

I figure once I get to college, I'll have lots of opportunity to be in the ER as a volunteer, especially if I get the EMT certification this summer.

I really love doing all this stuff and I'm pumped! I only hope I can get the grades I need to get to med school.

Originally posted by calaxer19:
•I figure once I get to college, I'll have lots of opportunity to be in the ER as a volunteer, especially if I get the EMT certification this summer.

Many hospitals use EMT certified persons as "techs" - ER nursing assistants. Definitely explore this option.

Good Luck!

Its good to try out different departments or things you may not think you are as interested in. It will help you determine for sure if you like that field or not. Also, you might find out you like something better than the ER and can stear your career goals in that direction. Good luck.

calaxer,

i'm actually a PT major now going into the master's phase of my program and will be applying to medical school after i graduate (PT and premed are basically the same, just need to finish organic). anyway, i have a job right now at a hospital as a PT aide and it is excellent experience for PT but i would say also for med school. not only do i have patient contact all day long, i learn from some of the most enthusiastic people out there, PTs. i am fortunate to work at a hospital where i see acute patients as well as those recovering from orthopedic surgery and i even go to the ER sometimes which means i have access to all different types of doctors who at least at this hospital are very willing to speak with me. i think this position will be very helpful for you to decide what type of doctor you want to be while also getting lots of patient contact which will look great for your application. just remember to ask lots of questions and have fun.

good luck to you and feel free to contact me with any questions regarding PT or your job.

Thanks for all the replies!

I will be following a PT and PTA around for at least the first couple of weeks and then I may be given the opportunity to setup procedures and equipment for patients.

I am totally cool with that fact I won't be directly working with the patients since I haven't received any training, and the last thing I want to do is be in error at the cost of a patient.

PTjay: Sounds like you work at an awesome place! The clinic I will be at is affiliated with a major hospital, but is housed in a completely different complex. The patients are all out-patients, so nothing really serious.

Oh, one last thing: Is there anything special I need to remember so that I can use this on my app in three years (i.e. does it have to be noted on my transcript)?

Thanks!

Originally posted by calaxer19:

Oh, one last thing: Is there anything special I need to remember so that I can use this on my app in three years (i.e. does it have to be noted on my transcript)?

Thanks!•

Unless you are getting academic credit for it, the experience won't appear on your transcript. However, depending on how long you stay at the position and how well you work, consider asking your supervisor (if a physician) or another physician you may work with for a letter of recommendation. Clinical experience counts for a lot and the recommendation of a clinician will be useful to you when you apply.

It sounds like a wonderful experience - getting to know any area of medicine will benefit you. Its not as popular as EM but IMHO what you're doing is worthwhile and I think an excellent addition to your pre-med arsenal.

Best of luck!

Great! I went through the college admissions game, so it seems like extra-curriculars are noted the same.

I spoke with my supervisor and his willingness to keep me away from clerical stuff is awesome - I can't believe I'm getting paid for this. God knows I've already done my lifetime amount of filing and copying (or so I hope).

Thanks for all your replies!

Calaxer, make sure that you relax during your college days. You have your entire career ahead of you, so you need to carpe diem college while you are at such an early stage. Don't get me wrong, you are doing good things, but I think the social part of college is a very close second to the actual academics. Medicine is a great long term goal not to develop an ulcer over until your JUNIOR YEAR. :eek:

I do plan on having lots of fun at college, but at the same time, I realize I'm going to have to work very hard.

I perhaps enjoyed my freshman and sophomore years in high school too much and didn't concentrate on my studies until late into my Junior year when I began to think about pursuing medicine. Consequently, many prestigious private colleges were out of my reach. I'm determined not to make the same mistake.