Need advice please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pookisantoki

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a postbac student (career changer)
My overall GPA is 3.4
My science GPA is 3.3

With this GPA what are my chances in applying to med school?
What MCAT score would i need to counter-act this??

THANK YOU!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a postbac student (career changer)
My overall GPA is 3.4
My science GPA is 3.3

With this GPA what are my chances in applying to med school?
What MCAT score would i need to counter-act this??

THANK YOU!!

you can use the LizzyM score as a very rough guide. Meaning GPA x 10 + MCAT. You want to be above 70 to do well in the app process. So, 35 or 36 is a good goal for the MCAT I would say.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you'll definitely be competitive for DO schools if you're not already looking into it. GPA is a little on the low side but it's doable for MD schools also. I have similar numbers and I got in.

Assuming the appropriate extracurriculars, if you have a strong upward trend with your postbac work, I think you can get into your state school and/or the less selective allopathic med schools with an MCAT of 33. You have a good chance at osteopathic med schools with an MCAT score of 27+. Extremely strong ECs can also overshadow low stats to an extent. Do you have any? Being an older non-trad can help you too, if there is a distinct difference in your academic performance now, vs back then, and due to rich life experiences.

The 3.3 is the BCPM GPA. With a 3.4 cGPA, an MCAT of 33+ should do it (for allo schools).