Need Advice PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm8948

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm feeling pretty lost and hopeless when it comes to my odds of getting into med school. My current GPA is a 3.65 and I haven't taken many sciences yet, but I am currently taking Biology II and Honors Physiology (I have about a B in both of these courses). I could've done better in these courses but I have had a lot of personal issues to deal with this past year and I have been doing my best in school despite it. At the moment I am currently being treated for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - which is where my unusual personal background comes in. I am reluctant to share this here and put it on an application because it is not exactly a happy story, and is deeply personal. But here it is anyway; at fourteen I entered foster care where I remained until graduating from highschool due to signifcant abuse, and have been completely on my own since graduating highschool. But don't get me wrong! I am not bitter, or resentful towards this and have come to terms with it and accept it for what it is; and I extend this to have forgiven my parents even though I choose not to have them in my life (I have not spoken to them in 6 years) and I would not write about this as a woe-is-me story. However, when I was admitted to the hospital due to the abuse, I have never encountered such warmth, love and compassion in my entire life - and that single day has changed my entire life for the better. I feel such a drive a motivation to give the world some more of the amazing humanity I encountered that day. I also have no volunteer experience to speak of, but I do work part time at an extremely prestigious veterinary hospital (I do not want to be a vet- so I know that is kind of useless). I am also waiting to be confirmed for volunteering at a local hospital this summer. So what I'm asking is what do my grades need to be like (I am also in the honors program and a double major in Psychology and Biology), and what more do I need for extracurriculars, and should I include that part of my personal life in my application? Sorry this was so long, but I'd really appreciate some honest advice. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Get that hospital volunteering going, contact a few doctors to shadow (it is easy to do this once you start volunteering in the hospital) and see if there is a community-based organization with which you can volunteer a few hours per week. Perhaps it could even be an abuse shelter or a children's intervention program, to tie it with your past experiences.

As to GPA, your 3.65 sounds great. Is that cumulative or science? You say you haven't taken many sciences yet, so make sure you put enough effort into them to get A's. Prep enough for the MCAT to get a 30+.

As to your personal experiences, it sounds like you made it through them and are a stronger person because of them. It also seems as though these experiences have played a tremendous role in your identity formation, and as such, could very well be included in your application in the personal statement. Of course, don't write the whole thing about your past, but you could definitely incorporate your experiences into your developmental narrative and use it to demonstrate your motivation to become a physician. This is also why I mentioned the possibility of volunteering with an abuse shelter or intervention program, as it would tie your past and present together in such a way as to provide a springboard to your future in medicine. After all, motivation exists only as a reflection of personal history.

Good luck to you and keep your chin up :D. It sounds like you're doing great. . .

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement! I had taken two "science courses" in my freshman year but they were not challenging at all and were electives (I had an 'A' in both) so the only real sciences I have taken are the ones I am currently enrolled in (Bio II and Honors Phsyiology - I have a 'B' in both). So my cumulative science GPA would be a 3.2ish I'm supposing? Which I know is on the weaker end, due to a rough semester. But I fully intend on doing my absolute best this upcoming semester which I am taking Chem I and Bio I (I had to do the Bio courses in an odd order because I changed my major at an awkward time in the semester). I also have signed up to be an International Student Volunteer to go to countries that need help in developing communities, for a 4 week program. I had never considered the intervention volunteering you suggested, but that is a very good idea and I will try and find something available. Thank you again and good luck in med school! :)