Need Advice..plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndenti

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys I seriously need some advice to apply podiatry this year..

1. is this too late to apply now?

2. my gpa is total-2.97 science-2.68 non-science-3.49.. is there chance to accept?

3. I was thinking about dental school so I have DAT score(AA-19) only. is it good enough to school which accept DAT scores or I need to take MCAT for making look better?

Thank you, and plz help me..

Members don't see this ad.

2. my gpa is total-2.97 science-2.68 non-science-3.49.. is there chance to accept?

3. I was thinking about dental school so I have DAT score(AA-19) only. is it good enough to school which accept DAT scores or I need to take MCAT for making look better?

I dunno buddy....There's only (3) schools that actually still take the DAT...Your DAT score isn't bad---but unfortunately your GPA isn't really competitive.....It's close to a 3.0, but still a 2.97.....

Have you even shadowed a podiatrist??----Got LOR's from one???
Well, if you apply anyway, you might get a couple of nibbles from 1-2 schools, but do so knowing that your chances could be limited due to your GPA....

Pod. is starting to get more competitive with admissions, since there are more applications being submitted---they can be a little more picky......A few years ago, a 2.97 probably could've gotten you in few places, but NOW--it's not a sure thing...

Oh yeah, you'll be needing to take the dreaded MCAT if you wanna gain acceptance to other schools...

How's your other details???? extra-curriculars?? shadow experience??.....Schools do look @ this stuff, but really--it's all about the NUMBERS on paper.....

Good Luck!!!

Without railing on you about why look at podiatry now after finding out you are non competitive at dds schools, two things.

1. Take the mcat asap.
2. your science gpa is really low. if your science/non science were reversed, your app would make more sense. who cares if you got an A in humanities 101 if you got a C + in Bio II.

People on here say LOR and EC's are important and they are, but only if you have better grades/mcat. A good lor is not going to make up for your gpa and lack of MCAT.

With all that said and it already getting to be late in the cycle, I personally would not look forward to having to convince admins that you are a serious, committed podiatry school candidate

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't bother. You -might- have a chance at 1-2 schools, but this is very obviously a "I didn't get into dental school" decision. Try again at dental school after you've improved your application, but don't plague our profession with your desperation. Podiatry needs people who are interested in it and committed to making it better, not people who just want to be called doctor in some shape or form who can't hack it in the md/do/dds world.

Don't bother. You -might- have a chance at 1-2 schools, but this is very obviously a "I didn't get into dental school" decision. Try again at dental school after you've improved your application, but don't plague our profession with your desperation. Podiatry needs people who are interested in it and committed to making it better, not people who just want to be called doctor in some shape or form who can't hack it in the md/do/dds world.

:eek: ouch.....But I guess a little honesty won't hurt that much.....
I agree with everything dpmPOD said.....You shouldn't run to pod. b/c you can't make it in dental....

***This is coming from a FORMER-predent....***

However, if you are still interested in staying in dental, you def. gotta work on that GPA....If you are a minority, you could get into Howard/Meharry with your current DAT.....Just bump that GPA to 3.0+ & you'd have a great shot....If you're not a minority--well, do I really gotta say?......Dental school admissions is SUPER competitive now...

This is probably good advice, but if there's a reason why the GPA was low (job, military, etc), then a one year masters program might be the way to go. That will let you take med school level courses to improve your gpa and make sure you wouldn't just be tossing away your $ in pod school and failing out after a semester or two.

I am not on the admissions committee, nor have I ever even interviewed for pod schools (yet) but the AACPM website states that the average sci gpa is a 3.0 and non sci is about a 3.4

http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/AppStats/Applicant_GPA.pdf

....since it is an average that means about half the people they accept have less than a 3.0 gpa.

Your spot on with the non sci gpa

i also agree with everyone else that you should really think about it if you want to join pod school. You definatly seem to have a want to be a dentist more than a pod. Shadow pods before rushing to another profession. If you really want to be a dentist take some masters courses and do well in them... then apply.

There has been lots of talk about the profession becoming more selective this year. Over the past 5 years the entrance gpa averages have not changed. So I do not think that it will drastically change in one year. I could be wrong however. Well see when the stats come out this year. But you are getting late in the cycle